Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios password on second hand laptop

• Please log in to reply

globaljoe

globaljoe

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hello, I decided that maybe this would be the best forum to deal with my situation as the problem of BIOS passwords must be a common problem for up-graders. Anyway, the problem is: I decided to buy my young grandson a laptop for Christmas so I bought him a second hand Dell Latitude D620 running WinXP Pro pre-installed. Everything seemed to be working fine, I added a few programs and did some general checks, until I downloaded Verity parental control software which my daughter wanted to have on it for obvious reasons, now the Verity program has a facility for limiting Internet access times and I noticed that the system clock was way off so I go into the Bios to change it only to find that it has a password protection on it so I could not change it, also I noticed that on boot up the system is generating a PXE boot error which I happen to know is because the network boot is set as first boot device, in fact the boot sequence that is set on the system is quite bizarre, device 1. On board NIC. device 2. Diskette drive. device 3. internal HDD. device 4. USB storage. and 5. CD/DVD/CD/RW drive, and obviously I cannot change these either. Has anyone any idea how I can wangle my way out of this situation?
Many thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Unfortunately, as noted in the site's Terms of Use we all agreed to abide by, item 3.o. states,

o.Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

Therefore, my only recommendation for getting into the BIOS is to take the system to a shop where they can verify ownership.

As for setting the clock, you can do that from within Windows. Just right click on the clock in the System Tray and select Adjust date/time.

globaljoe

globaljoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks Digerati, I found a way around the problem, as for re-setting the clock from within windows, why didn't I think of that, (feel free to call me Dumbo from now on), Thanks again for your help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No problem and thanks for understanding our policy.