Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop no longer boots.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK drivers seem to be up to date but I did notice something else. Please do the following and let me know if you have any issues with the instructions.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Advertisements

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yep, I'm familiar with Auslogics Disk Defrag and TFC. I'll go ahead and run them now. I'll post back when they've finished.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 22 December 2011 - 01:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This probably doesn't have anything to do with the issue but I noticed your hard drive was showing 44% fragmented which is a bad thing.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Wow, that much? I'm not sure how each program determines the percentage of fragmentation but Auslogics reported 4% fragmentation and said I didn't need to defrag prior to just running it.

I tried Defraggler recently and it reported 25% (iirc) on my laptop and around 44% (iirc) on my desktop. However, every other tool I've used (Auslogics, Puran, Smart Defrag) didn't report anywhere near those percentages. Even Windows defragmenter said I didn't need to defrag. Additionally, Defraggler kept leaving thousands of files fragmented after running it so I just ditched it.

For a long time, I've been using Smart Defrag 2, however, just recently, it started analyzing system restore even though I had excluded it so I ditched it, too.

So, now I'm back to using Auslogics.

Note: Auslogics is still running.

Edit: I should probably perform routine maintenance on my laptop, too, soon.

Edit 2: And about those other Auslogics products, I agree. I stay far away from any tool that claims to clean/optimize/defrag/whatever the registry.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 22 December 2011 - 02:23 PM.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay, I've finished running TFC and Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Edit: Are the colored lines on the monitor's screen something that can be fixed by reinstalling the operating system? They're really bothersome (strains my eyes). I have nothing of value on the desktop so I don't mind reinstalling the operating system if that's what it takes.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 22 December 2011 - 03:29 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before we consider a new install can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and let me know if the lines appear there please.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Done. The lines don't appear in safe mode with networking.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that is good news then. It means we may just have to uninstall the drivers and let windows reload them.
You do this in Device Manager under Video Adapted.
Let me know if you need more instructions . Also if you do it in Safe mode it will hopefully reinstall when you boot back into normal mode.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay, I'll do that right now.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
There's nothing in there called 'video adapted'. There is a section called 'display adapters' though. Is that what I should uninstall?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep Display adapter is the right one. Sorry oldtimer syndrome minute :blink: :whistling:

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
The computer refuses to let me uninstall it. It says, "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."

Which is strange considering I've uninstalled it in the past.

I just remembered something. I have uninstalled the device before, downloaded the driver from my computer manufacturer's website and installed it in order to fix the lines but it didn't work. I also tried installing the latest version provided by NVIDIA and that didn't work either. Sorry about that.

I'm also pretty sure that when I uninstalled the device, the lines disappeared. However, when the device was reinstalled the liens reappeared.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 22 December 2011 - 05:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it may be a case of the newest driver is the culprit. You can try going into Device manger and right click on the Adapter and see if it has a rollback driver option.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Well, I'm pretty sure the driver that's on there now is the original. I had reversed the newly installed driver because it didn't help fix the lines. I tried to rollback, though. I receive the following message when I rollback the driver: "No driver files have been backed up for this device".

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the next question is this a onboard video or a actual video card?