Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop no longer boots.

• Please log in to reply

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay, I'll post back after I've had the chance to clean the computer. I thought I already had a can of compressed air but I can't seem to find it.

Advertisements

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Yeah, I can't find that can of compressed air I had. I'll have to see if I can pick up another one tomorrow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem just let me know how everything goes when you are done.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Hey, I'm back. I picked up a can of compressed air. It says right on the bottle that it can be used on electronics.

I have a quick question, though. The directions doesn't mention anything about what the temperature of the room should be that it's used in. I would like to use it in the basement. The basement gets pretty cold. The basement isn't heated and the door isn't completely sealed so cold air seeps in from the outside. Is it okay to use the can of compressed air on the desktop in such an environment?

The air from the can of compressed air is pretty cold itself. I just want to make sure that using it in a rather cold environment won't freeze computer components.

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The basement isn't heated and the door isn't completely sealed so cold air seeps in from the outside. Is it okay to use the can of compressed air on the desktop in such an environment?

You are fine just remember not to turn the can upside down.

Just don't let the air blow on any component for more then a few seconds especially directly at the motherboard or any electronic part. Blowing out the PSU should be no problem as you will be blowing through the vents.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Alright, I'm just giving in an update on how things are going. I got the power supply out and the other two fans. I also took out the video card. Most of the computer seemed okay. There were some cobwebs hanging throughout the machine. There was one particular fan that was actually complete blocked off by a blanket of dirt/ dust. I got that cleaned out. I'm still doing some cleaning and then I need to put it back together. I'll post back when I'm finished.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you are doing great and I will wait for your results when you have it all back together. :thumbsup:

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I put the computer back together and got it up and running again.

The colored lines are still on the desktop. What's next?

Edit:

Now, when I boot the computer, the computer reports the following message:

Drive 2 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

That would be my failed hard drive. I have to press the F1 key or the computer won't continue to boot. However, it never reported this before nor did it require user interaction to continue the boot process. I wonder if I may have switched the hard drives when placing them back in so now the computer is attempting to read the failed hard drive first. I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 25 December 2011 - 01:20 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think there is a issue with switching the drives or on the wrong controller.
The other option is the drive isn't even connected.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
There are 4 cables. 2 of them connect to the power supply and 2 of them connect to the motherboard. The 2 that connect to the motherboard are blue and the 2 that connect to the power supply consist of several wires with different colored coating. I switch the blue cables around but that changed one of the screens that the desktop loads during the booting process so I ruled that out (I remember what it looked like before taking the computer a part). Switching the cables connected to the power supply didn't help.

Edit: I tried just removing the failed hard drive, too. That didn't help either.

Anyway, it isn't really an issue. Not right now, anyway. I'll worry about that when the colored lines are fixed. What's the next step I can try to fix the colored lines?

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 25 December 2011 - 12:25 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The error message tells me the hard drives are in the wrong order.
Try connecting only one at a time to the SATA port 1 and see if the system will boot then. If not change to the other one and see if it will work.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay, I'll try try. On the motherboard, where the 2 blue cables connect, "SATA 1" and "SATA 0" are printed. Is this what you mean when you said:

"Try connecting only one at a time to the SATA port 1 and see if the system will boot then. If not change to the other one and see if it will work."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually you will want SATA port 0

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Okay. I just tried port 1 and that didn't help. When I put the failed hard drive in I got the message that the hard drive failed and I couldn't continue. I'll try port 0 now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let me ask is there a OS installed on the good Hard drive?