Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multifunction Printer to router

• Please log in to reply

manin

manin

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hello, I have Samsung SCX-4200, and a Pirelli router with usb support.
I connected Samsung to the router, and I am printing through LPR protocol.
It works just fine.
My problem is that I can't get scanner from Samsung to work.
Is there a similar way to manage it?
I am looking for several days, but no luck

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Generally not. There is not the communication possible between the computer and the scanner with the router in between that is needed. It seems that it is a USB only device, so if you want to use the scanner, you will need to directly connect it to a computer. You can still share the printer with other computers, but the one that it is attached to would need to be powered up.

There might be some USB devices which would allow it to be shared.

From a quick search:

http://thefutureofth...haring-hub.html
http://www.usbgear.c...rt_SHARING_Hub/
http://www.usbswitch.com/

I don't know anything about it though. I am sure that there are other devices as well.

Also it seems possible to share the USB over the network, but it still has to be attached to one machine:

http://www.fabulatec...er-network.html

It is expensive though and it would be cheaper to get a new printer.

manin

manin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks for your answer.
It is not an option to buy any device.
Only if ot works, like the printer does.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Check your printer manual. For my HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer I can access the device's internal menu system via my browser by entering the devices IP address in the address box. From there, I can operate the scanner, check ink levels, fax and more. In this way, I don't have to install the 100s of megabytes of HP program files in order to scan. I still need drivers, and I need to setup printing via a network port on each computer. That is a bit of a hassle with XP, but with Windows 7 it is a breeze.

Also it seems possible to share the USB over the network, but it still has to be attached to one machine:

No, not with a print server. That's the beauty of a print server, the device does NOT have to be tied to any computer. With a print server, the printer can be physically located anywhere on the network in a central location and everyone can print to it at once and the printer sorts out the print jobs. You can do it with one of these or note that many routers already include a print server. And of course, many printers are already network ready.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

Check your printer manual. For my HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer I can access the device's internal menu system via my browser by entering the devices IP address in the address box. From there, I can operate the scanner, check ink levels, fax and more.

Is it connected to a router by means of a USB connection?

No, not with a print server.

That was in specific reference to the link that I provided right under it, so YES, in that case it does have to be connected to one machine.

That's the beauty of a print server, the device does NOT have to be tied to any computer. With a print server, the printer can be physically located anywhere on the network in a central location and everyone can print to it at once and the printer sorts out the print jobs. You can do it with one of these or note that many routers already include a print server. And of course, many printers are already network ready.

Yes, but the issue is with the scanner part, not the printer part. This printer does not directly connect to the network.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Yes, but the issue is with the scanner part, not the printer part. This printer does not directly connect to the network.

I realize this is with the scanner part. It does not matter. With a print server, everyone on the network can access the scanner menu via their browser too - that is, if that printer has an internal menu system - without being tied to another PC. So again, I would check the manual to see if that device does.

manin

manin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Check your printer manual. For my HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer I can access the device's internal menu system via my browser by entering the devices IP address in the address box. From there, I can operate the scanner, check ink levels, fax and more. In this way, I don't have to install the 100s of megabytes of HP program files in order to scan. I still need drivers, and I need to setup printing via a network port on each computer. That is a bit of a hassle with XP, but with Windows 7 it is a breeze.

I checked the manual. It does not say anything about web interface....
I have Samsung SCX-400.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, my apologies for bringing false hope. It was worth a try. I personally think it is pretty sad scanning is not easier. Scanners, whether stand-alone or integrated into multi-function devices, have been around for many many years and it seems they always present problems.

I have Samsung SCX-400

You SCX-4200 earlier. I am going to assume 4200 is correct since I cannot find a 400.

Did scanning ever work? I note on page 6.1 of your manual it says you must install the "SmarThru" software. According to the manual, and I quote, "With SmarThru, scanning is the proverbial piece of cake." Yeah, right. I note on these Smart True instructions, they can't seem to decide if it is Smart Thru or SmarThru. :rolleyes:

Oddly, your manual discusses installing a network printer on a Mac, but not a PC. :wacko:

manin

manin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Well, my apologies for bringing false hope. It was worth a try. I personally think it is pretty sad scanning is not easier. Scanners, whether stand-alone or integrated into multi-function devices, have been around for many many years and it seems they always present problems.

I have Samsung SCX-400

You SCX-4200 earlier. I am going to assume 4200 is correct since I cannot find a 400.

Did scanning ever work? I note on page 6.1 of your manual it says you must install the "SmarThru" software. According to the manual, and I quote, "With SmarThru, scanning is the proverbial piece of cake." Yeah, right. I note on these Smart True instructions, they can't seem to decide if it is Smart Thru or SmarThru. :rolleyes:

Oddly, your manual discusses installing a network printer on a Mac, but not a PC. :wacko:

Why do you apologise? You tried to give me a hand. If you don't try, you don't succeed.
Yes it is 4200. You read in Manual that it can work in Mac?
I could use Virtual Mac through windows.
I will read Mac Manual too.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Good luck and keep us posted.