Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SWTOR on Macbook Question

• Please log in to reply

SeanJ29

SeanJ29

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone,

So I have been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, barely, on my Macbook that I use for school. Here are the Specs:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3385

It is kind of playable, despite some lag and terrible graphics. It looks like wow graphics when it should look a lot better. Also for some reason with low graphics and shaders people and objects are shaped weird. But back to my question... I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade my Macbook, maybe with RAM or something to improve graphics to make it more enjoyable. Or, as a last resort, buy a new laptop that is pretty versatile and can handle SWTOR. I know macs are not the best for gaming and realize that this may be my only choice, but if upgrading would work some way I would rather take the cheaper route, being a cheap college student. If buying a new laptop is the only choice, if anyone had any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
how long have you had your mac? depending on what generation it is and how old we can make a ram recommendation. As it is, I think you will only be able to upgrade to 3 gigs of ram. I looked at crucial memory and they have a 2 gb stick of ram for about $25 USD. Macs love memory anyway and it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the ram. however, I don't think it will help improve your graphics.

have you watched someone else play swtor that has a better computer? I haven't played it yet, so I can't advise what, if anything will make it look better for you. Comparing it to WoW gets pretty subjective.