Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

$200 - $300 Tablet worth buying?

• Please log in to reply

pdl2nd

pdl2nd

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My daughter would like a tablet to take notes in her college classes. She "thinks" she wants a Kindle Fire. She already has Kindle. She wants to be able to type her notes. I know there are some programs where she can write her notes with a stylus. What is the best available tablet/mini in the $200-$300 price range that will allow her to do what she wants? She already has a 15" laptop, but would like something lighter to carry around to class.
If I can get it for Christmas, great, but if not I can switch her birthday gift. I just want to get something that will be useful and not another E-reader

Thanks,
pdl2nd

Edited by pdl2nd, 22 December 2011 - 11:39 AM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :thumbsup:

In that price range, the best choice is probably the Amazon Kindle Fire. It's a 7" tablet running a modified version of Android, for $200. It's not perfect, but it is a great price point, and I think a good choice for your daughter.

The on screen keyboard would be okay for note taking. They are ideally suited to quick bursts of text; emails, Facebook status updates, Twitter posts, web searches. You could also use it to record the lecture. However, you wouldn't want to type a thesis on it.

A Kindle Fire, or any tablet won't replace all the function of a laptop, but for $200 it can fill a useful role.

I have a friend who ditched his 10" HP Touchpad with WebOS for the Kindle Fire, and never looked back. He says the the size and OS are much better.

pdl2nd

pdl2nd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Admin,

How do you think the Fire compares to the Acer - Iconia Tablet with 8GB Memory - Steel Blue available at best buy and walmart for $249.00. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link or not.

thanks,
pdl2nd

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry for the slow reply, I know time is probably of the essense. I really think there are only two choices in the tablet market today. Kindle Fire on the low-end, and iPad2 on the high-end. There are a huge number of tablet makers exiting the market for this very reason. I'm not familiar with Iconia or Steel Blue but they are a likely a couple of many available Chinese knockoffs that will offer a poor experience. The Fire's hardware is practically identical to RIM's (Blackberry) Playbook. It's solid hardware.