Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning my keyboard

• Please log in to reply

catpoop

catpoop

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Is it safe to wash or soak my keyboard in the kitchen sink?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you did that, it would most likely never function as a real keyboard again, but could be used as a prop or a paperweight. There might be some waterproof keyboards, but I would not trust them to be that waterproof.

Summary: No, don't do it.

catpoop

catpoop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I`m hearing lots of stories of peeps who wash their`s in the dishwasher & no problems but obviously you can`t use it for a week or 2.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Keyboards are pretty cheap, try it if you want. I wouldn't do it to a keyboard that had any value to me, but an older keyboard with problems is not worth anything. There are places on many keyboards where water will stay for a very long time. There is also the issue of some parts rusting. Keyboards are not designed to be washed like that.

I heard lots of stories, but that does not mean that all the stories are true.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I would recommend you to use compressed air to clean your keyboard. It is a safe method.