Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replacing dual core HD's -plz help w/ selection

• Please log in to reply

vetsvet

vetsvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ahhhh, yes....now I remember. The original part of this thread was asking about internal HD upgrades. Seems about a hundred years ago :woot:
After all now learned, I think I'd start from scratch when this system acts up again :killcomp:
Recycle it's case, cooling system, and PSU.
Ditch the AMD MB and CPU.
Upgrade the graphics card.
Get a NAS for external storage, fill it with SATA drives, and do a RAID configuration on them.

All that's left to do now is finish backing up to the new install.
After that, will donate to this great site :notworthy:
and then, if I win the Lottery, begin that dream new build :cheers:

Thanks, guys ('n' gals, if appropriate!)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sounds like a good scenario We all have that dream machine at the back of our minds.

Thanks for finalizing you post. Helps others seeking advise. AS for donations, read Phillpower2's signature. that is all that is asked for.

If you need help in the future. you know where we are.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ditto to what iammykyl has said :spoton:
Being able to help others to resolve an issue is reward enough for us and especially if we can save them cash.
The thanks that we receive and members concluding their topics are sometimes a nice bonus though :D
If you have adressed the red X issues before you conclude your topic can you let us know how the PC is running now.

vetsvet

vetsvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So far, it's running like a champ. No more errors or issues :thumbsup:
Not sure how to 'conclude' this topic, but think it is justifiable to do so :yes:

Most certainly will visit again if other questions arise.
Thank you :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So far, it's running like a champ. No more errors or issues

Pleased to hear that.

Thanks for the update.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Consider your topic concluded (but not closed) and thanks for letting us know you are now happy with your PC.
Just a FYI GTG do not close topics without a good reason :thumbsup:

vetsvet

vetsvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
How did you know not to close this?
Seems now that concluding it is premature :(

After installing a back up from 4 weeks before noting any issues, I now have these notices when I open Computer management

system error 2:02 PM 1-3-2012 Category 102 event 1003 user n/a

3:56 AM 1-3-2012 application error category (100) event 1000 user n/a
6:20 AM application error category none even 1001 user n/a

1-3-2012 multiple warnings 5:59 AM source = disc category = none event 51

I checked this because the "system recovered from a serious error" :unsure:

Please :help:

There was another error, reported to microsoft. It would not allow me to copy the message. All I can recall is that windows failed to find something it apparently needed. The missing item ended with 'Refxdir'

On lunch break now. Will try to google these noted problems after work (about 5-6 hrs from now).

Guess I'll owe ya my first-born or something, before this system is fixed :lol:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi, in the nicest possible way I am sorry to hear back from you so soon :(
Can you please check your Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X marks.
Run PCPitstop and again provide the url please.

vetsvet

vetsvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for waiting for these results. My 'day job' prevented a quicker response.
Only yellow exclamation point found on device manager is the ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver (found under 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers'). After reloading the ATI Catalyst Control drivers, that exclamation point had disappeared. Now, it's baaack...

PC Pitstop url --
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24727498

The ATI driver corruption, and resumption of issues, began after I backed up my old info onto the clean system :wacko:
Spybot found a mere 3 tracking cookies.
Norton 360 says no viruses.
Running Malwarebytes now.

Edited by vetsvet, 04 January 2012 - 04:15 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looks like restoring a backup may altered system files.

Nag, Nag.

Note for later. When your system is running sweet again, If possible, on a different drive from the C drive, create a partition to store images on, then create an image of the boot drive.
Before any alterations, updates, create a restore point with a description you will understand later. This way you stand a better chance of putting things right.

When making major changes, create a restore point, perform one action at a time and see if your system remains stable. create another restore point before the next action.
When finished, create and store another image. Do not delete the first one.
You should have another partition for backups of your DATA only.

The biggest culprit for messing up the system are video drivers. I recommend you only update them from the GPU manufacturers website. They test the drivers before posting them, so less chance of bugs.

It takes time, it is a pain, but well worth doing.

And the GOLDEN rule, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phillpower2.

In this instance, if a restore point exists before the backup was done, trying a restore, running PC Pitstop again and seeing if there are still issues?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
vetsvet and iammykyl
Before adding anything further I will wait on an update regarding the Malwarebytes scan.

vetsvet

vetsvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Found one Trojan, and quarantined it. :angry: :blush: :oops:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi vetsvet
First of all my apologies for the delay in myself responding to your last reply, please see my previous post #41, once you stated that you were checking for malware I had to take a step back, please follow the guidance below regarding first the self help guide and then beginning a topic on the Malware Forum if it is necessary, provide the Malware Tech with a link to this topic so that the steps already taken can be checked.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Please understand you have not been abandoned on this topic and again please let us know how you are getting on and good luck.

vetsvet

vetsvet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
phillpower2,
Your advice is much appreciated. Will follow the above.
Much obliged!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome and good luck.