Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help restoring computer?

• Please log in to reply

Please help me out

Please help me out

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok i know this has been asked thousands of times but how do i do it? I went to plently of fourms on how to do it but none of them help me! I have a Toshiba Satelite L305-S5919 (thats what it says on the bottom of my laptop) and its windows vista. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think you have already tried this but i am putting it up anyway.
just your C: drive and leaving other partitions (for example, a D:
drive) intact, or changing the size of your C: drive and then
recovering it.
To recover your hard disk drive using the utilities stored on your
computer’s HDD:
1 Make sure the computer is turned off.
2 Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while
powering on the computer. When the computer powers on, the
Toshiba Recovery Wizard screen displays.
3 Select one of the options, and then click Next. The options are:
❖ Recovery of Factory Default Software
❖ Erase the hard disk

1 On the Toshiba Recovery Wizard screen, select Recovery of
Factory Default Software, and then click Next.
The Recovery of Factory Default Software screen appears.
(Sample Image) Recovery of Factory Default Software screen
2 Select Recover to out-of-box-state, and then click Next.
A confirmation message displays reminding you that all data
will be lost during the recovery process. Be sure to save your
work to external media before proceeding.
3 Click Next to begin the recovery.
Once complete, a message displays that the HDD has been
recovered.
4 Press any key on the keyboard to restart the computer.
To recover only your C: drive:
1 On the Toshiba Recovery Wizard Screen, select Recovery of
Factory Default Software, and then click Next.
2 Select Recover without changing the hard drive partitions.
A confirmation message appears, reminding you that all
information on the C: drive will be lost during the recovery
process. Be sure you have saved your work to external media
before proceeding.
3 Click Next to begin the restoration.
Once complete, a message displays that the HDD has been
recovered.
4 Press any key on your keyboard to restart the computer.

You have not stated what you have already tried doing to the computer. If you chose the radio button option labeled "Erase the Hard Disk" underneath the "Recovery of Factory Default Software, trying to do a restore, you wiped all data contained on the hard drive without reinstalling the original factory settings and operating system.

You may have erased the recovery partition. If this has happened your only recourse is to get a windows Vista install DVD and reinstall the OS then download the toshiba drivers and install them.

To find out if you have a recovery partition on your computer.

Open a Command Prompt (CMD) window during the Windows Vista installation process.
During the GUI phase of the Vista installation you can simply press the SHIFT + F10 keys and a black CMD window opens!

The command.com or cmd.exe programs have built in commands that are very useful. Below I have outlined some of the more important commands and further instruction on how to find information on all the available commands.

The Help command - This command will list all the commands built into the command prompt. If you would like further information about a particular command you can type help commandname. For example help cd will give you more detailed information on a command. For all commands you can also type the command name followed by a /? to see help on the command. For example, cd /?

The Exit command - This command will close the command prompt. Simply type exit and press enter and the command prompt will close.

The CD command - This command allows you to change your current directory or see what directory you are currently in. To use the CD command you would type cd directoryname and press enter. This would then change the directory you are currently in to the one specified. When using the cd command you must remember how paths work in Windows. A path to a file is always the root directory, which is symbolized by the \ symbol, followed by the directories underneath it. For example the file notepad.exe which is located in c:\windows\system32 would have a path as follows \windows\system32\notepad.exe. If you want to change to a directory that is currently in your current directory you do not need the full path, but can just type cd directoryname and press enter. For example if you are in a directory called c:\test, and there were three directories in that the test directory called A, B, and C, you could just type cd a and press enter. You would then be in the c:\test\a. If on the other hand you wanted to change your directory to the c:\windows\system32 directory, you would have to type cd \windows\system and press enter.

The DIR command - This command will list the files and directories contained in your current directory, if used without an argument, or the directory you specify as an argument. To use the command you would just type dir and press enter and you will see a listing of the current files in the directory you are in, including information about their file sizes, date and time they were last written to. The command will also show how much space the files in the directory are using and the total amount of free disk space available on the current hard drive.

SRX660