Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

broadband connection

• Please log in to reply

sarah96

sarah96

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, my pc seems to have a problem with staying connected to the internet I will be happily surfing the internet when all of a sudden it goes offline. Sometimes I can be on hours and hours without it going off and other times I've hardly switched the PC on and it's gone off.
You recently helped with a p2esocks problem I had and for that you removed all of my spyware and since that the connection has been a lot better staying online for hours at a time although it still does cut off.
It can be really frustrating especially when I'm in the middle of something and I have to reboot to go back online.
I have phoned my ISP numerous times about it and they have assured me that it's nothing at their end and the problem lays with my PC.
Do you have any ideas please?
Thanks

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
what kinda connection do you have (dsl, cable)? and is this off a router?

sarah96

sarah96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
my connection type is cable. I'm not sure what you mean by a router so I can't answer that.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I'm not sure what you mean by a router so I can't answer that.

A router is used in networking computers. Especially wireless networks have a habit of dropping the connection occasionally.

It really does sound to me as if the problem is with your cable <_< Have they checked the signal strength?

How do you get your connection back once it's lost?

sarah96

sarah96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No my computer is not a router.
When I've phoned my ISP they have performed numerous ping tests and they all worked fine. They also said that if the ready light was lit on my modem then it wasn't at their end and when it goes offline the ready light is still on.
To get my connection back on after it's gone off I restart my computer and it's always back online.
I really have no idea what is up with it no one I know has this problem with their PC.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Is your computer connected to the cable modem with a network cable or USB cable?

sarah96

sarah96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
the modem is connected to the PC with a USB cable

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's try WinsockFix, download and run:
http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=21

Windows 98 doesn't have the best USB support. You may find you get a more reliable connection using a network cable. If your computer doesn't have a netwrk interface card, you should be able to pick one up for less than $20, and they're easy to install. <_<

sarah96

sarah96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello again,

I used that winsock fix. I will see how my connection goes and let you know if it's improved it.

Thanks very much for all your help