Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Troubles= ALOT!

• Please log in to reply

ForeverWolfress

ForeverWolfress

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had this DELL laptop since last Christmas when I got it, and it gets slower and slower. I love playing games, so I have downloaded and tooken the games off multiple times. I used it on my lap for a while, and it got hot alot, but I am using a desk now so it doesn't do that now. I do AVG scans atleast twice a week, I use Disk Cleanup, Ccleaner, and Disk Defragmenter alot too. They help some but not alot. Sometimes my screen will randomly go black, sometimes it comes back on, and when it does, it says that my Disk Driver went out and recovered or something. Well, today, I turned on my laptop and it wanted to check this disk thing or somethig... I let it, and I did look up and see why, but I still am worried. I have never redone my computer, but my brother who is a computer genius said it will never get faster! I do not want to download anything for it. Please tell me the answer ASAP.

~Forever~

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hello ForeverWolfress :welcome:

Would you please tell me which antivirus applications you have had previously on this machine any and all.The reason I ask is because some like to hang around after you uninstall via add remove programs and require the use of removal tools.

What kind of computer do you have exactly??Example Compaq presario c700

DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post theuninstall.txt here in your next reply.

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?Please post back to us in a vertical list.

Run sfc /scannow also run chkdsk /r Links explaining below.

chkdsk /r

sfc /scannow

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND POST ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED!! :)

I want to make one thing very clear DO NOT use the registry cleaner function of ccleaner!!

Edited by rockmilk, 24 December 2011 - 07:44 AM.