Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seemingly random minimization of programs

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I use Win 7 Ultimate x64, and recently while playing games or using programs full screen on the primary monitor, my cursor will appear on the secondary monitor and select either other minimized programs, or things from my sidebar menu, I can see the objects being selected as I'm playing or working, as they open up, or magnify in the case of my launch bar. The cursor will then select or open something, and minimize whatever I happen to be doing. All of this is completely independant of whatever mouse movements or keys I'm pressing at the time, as it can happen when I just leave it alone. It's very irritating, and occurs frequently.
Nothing I seem to do changes it.
It mostly happens while playing full-screen games, as if it's trying to alt+tab without me having pressed anything, but the things it opens or magnifies are completely independant of my mouse movements.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Please read and follow the instructions in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide to have one of our malware removal experts check out your system. Please understand that due to the holidays, our resources are limited.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
go to control panel...mouse...
uncheck enhanced pointer precision

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, curious. I have never seen that suggested for this type problem before. My enhanced pointer precision option is enable (checked) and I run dual monitors with no problems.

With the OP reporting objects on his second monitor being selected, opened up, or magnified, and his own open window being minimized, that sound like someone or something has taken (possibly remotely) control from him. So I personally think it prudent to ensure the system is malware free and has not been compromised first.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Hmmm, curious. I have never seen that suggested for this type problem before. My enhanced pointer precision option is enable (checked) and I run dual monitors with no problems.

as do I without any problems ...but it does fix a bunch of problems like cursor creep / jumping all over the place ect

and I concur he should be checked for malware

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, cursor creep and jumping, but not selecting and opening objects, or minimizing opened windows - that points to something else to me. And BTW, for cursor creep/jumping, I have found isolating vibrations often works. This can be something simple like sitting the computer case on a thick rubber pad (old typewriter mats work great for that) as this helps isolate fan and drive motor vibrations that often vibrate up to the mouse's tracking surface.

A bit OT - I had an old heavy-set boss that had this problem but we could never duplicate it when we sat down at his desk to troubleshoot. I finally just sat in his office and started to watch his every action. It was then I noticed he had a restless leg that had a mind of its own and would not stop wiggling whenever he sat down at his desk. It was this causing the floor and thus his desk to vibrate. When I point this out and he would consciously stop wiggling his leg, the other leg would start up! :blink: We ended up moving his entire office to the bottom floor of the building on top of the concrete foundation! :wacko: