Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Happy Holidays, Folks - Need Some Consulting

• Please log in to reply

subterminal

subterminal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, I believe that I will go with a better GPU as well.

iammkyle mentioned the XFX Radeon HD 6870. They had quite a few negative reviews, so I found the same chip MSI version. It has little negative reviews, but also a lot less total reviews. Does anybody have an opinion to which company/GPU card is better?

Or, is there a different GPU that is a step-up from the MSI GTX 550 Ti that anybody would recommend? (120-175$ range)

-sub

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814162079

subterminal

subterminal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You like that one for the extra GB of memory?

And the last thing I am thinking of upgrading is the PSU. Corsair has a step-up model for an extra 30$. It supplies an extra 50w and boasts about its nvidia and intel compatability. Is this well-worth the extra 30$(USD)? Or is the builder series that we are considering sufficient enough (at a minimum)?

Lol, sorry. I think I'm pretty much ready to order for real this time.

-sub

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139021

subterminal

subterminal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, it's official. I ordered it :yeah:

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Galaxy 55NPH8HX4LXZ GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Grand total of $863.02 USD [After rebates]

It was just slightly over budget, but I believe that I will be happy with it for a few years to come. Thanks again for all the help and advice, folks. I'll check back in when I get her all set up and running.

Cheers :cheers:
-subterminal

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That is great news, shout if you need us but definitely let us know how it performs :thumbsup:

NB: Forgot to mention Im very jealous :woot:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Can you please post everything you have, or are about to purchase so we can give it a final check.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the final list. Another green one here.

Wish this time sink was better. Keep getting in there late.