Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Internet Security 2012 hammering me

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I'll be here off and on until midnight PST.

I take it bfe is still not running?

Advertisements

Raydiaz

Raydiaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Correct bfe is still Stopped and trying to start still gives error 5 access denied message.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Go into regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Click on Svchost. Look in the right pane for LocalServiceNoNetwork. Double click on LocalServiceNoNetwork and it should show you that BFE is on the list:

DPS
PLA
BFE
mpssvc
WwanSvc

If not add it. I don't think the order is important so if it is not there just add it at the bottom. OK.

Then we have this suggestion:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Type with an Enter after each line:

net  localgroup  administrators  localservice  /add
net  localgroup  administrators  networkservice  /add

reboot afterward.

There is a fixit here you can try:

http://support.micro...kb/943996/en-us

and also a suggestion to Add a new user to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
the user should be called NT Service\bfe

(This one has 11 points for solutions so it might actually do something.
http://answers.micro...2e-91ed41af61e3)
You go into regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services then right click on Services and select Permissions then click on Add
Type in NT Service\bfe and click on Check Name. (It will change your typing to BFE (underlined)) OK. Now select BFE on the permission page and click on the box to the right of Full Control (Allow column). Then Apply. Reboot and try.

Raydiaz

Raydiaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ron, the last one (11 points) seems to have done it. BFE now shows as Started. Now if I can just get ESET Nod32 running again and figure out what start up programs are being blocked. When I try to find out by clicking on Show blocked programs I get "Application failed to initialize. The handle is invalid". Something for tomorrow. Thanks for all your great help, Ramon.