Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Drive Reckognition

• Please log in to reply

Dave Martin

Dave Martin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed Maxtor One Touch 80GB NFTS OK on friends PC (I have two of my ouwn running OK)
Backed up to it OK except for couple of write errors which recovered OK. On restart always wanted to run Scandisk which would take long time so decided to reformat (on my own PC) and reconnected.
Drive then not reckognized.
Removed s/w and re-installed. Then problem. Maxtor drivers seem to load OK, drive shown in Task Bar and Devise Manager USB Controllers but drive not shown in Windows i.e. in My Computer or Explorer. Trying to use gives message "drive not found"
Help!
Sorry for long posting.
Bye the way the Maxtor Dantz software is rubish - I callled Dantz & even the guy there did not understand it. Whoever agreed to release it should be shot!

Advertisements

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

Didn't you make the mistake of formatting to NTFS intstead of Fat 32?
WinME can't read NTFS (I think).

That's the only thing I can think of.

Webslinger

Dave Martin

Dave Martin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Drive was delivered NFTS and PC backed up files and worked normally first time. Re -formated also NFTS then problem arose.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Can you still get it working on your own pc?
If so, just try reformatting to Fat 32 and see if it works.
ME is based on Fat 32, and maybe it reads NTFS, but it's not optimised for it.

Webslinger