Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

First PC Build - need reassurance that components are compatible

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

there are also as I mentioned earlier many who have voided their warranty by fitting an after market cooler thus not even giving the stock cooler a chance, as many will know CPU coolers are tested over and above their normal operating temps and it is mainly O/Cing that causes an adverse affect.

Yup! I agree on both points. The only time I really recommend aftermarket coolers is for PCs that will be integrated into home theater systems where "silent running" is desired. These are often done with no fans at all, and some implementers even underclock to keep temps down - but that's for another discussion.

Advertisements

Zumio

Zumio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey Zumio did you miss this http://www.overclock...id=1660&subcat= Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache same cost as your proposed Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache

Thanks very much for this, didn't notice the offer, hope it lasts till 1st Jan when I will be ordering the parts.

I think I will go with the stock HSF and then check temps using speedfan when I've been running Skyrim for a few hours on ultra. That way I can see if I'll need to buy another one. They aren't that expensive. Will the CPU come with a bit of thermal paste? If not then I can buy my own, no problems. If I do overclock it won't be extensive so I guess the stock HSF should suffice.

So just wondering about my PSU now.. do you guys think I should splash out on a slightly higher wattage one? I am also a little worried about the amount of connectors that it has... worst nightmare that I'll put it all in the case and then find out I don't have enough connectors

Zumio

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,760 posts
Did you note this on the link in Post #12 regarding warrantry,

***OVERCLOCKING GUIDELINES*** Do not exceed 1.425v core voltage, doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU Aim to keep temperatures below 70c underload if at all possible<br style= Do not overclock with BCLK, again doing so could limit lifespan of the CPU Recommended memory voltage is 1.50v, so make sure to run your memory at 1.50v, higher than 1.60v could limit lifespan of the CPU These recommendations come from OcUK and Intel, your warranty is un-affected but we highly recommend you adhere to the above to make sure your CPU lifespan is un-affected- All Sandybridge CPU's worldwide should be run at the above or lower voltages, no higher!

---------------------------------------------

Edit to remove formatting.

Edited by iammykyl, 25 December 2011 - 08:22 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,760 posts
Sandy Bridge can become very confusing.

Intel Socket 1155 Motherboards will accommodate Sandy Bridge CPUs, DEPENDENT on the wattage required by the CPU. Each manufacturer has there own CPU QVL.

Sandy Bridge CPUs, do not natively support PCI-Express 3.0, so even if you install any SB CPU on a Mobo that supports the new standard, the slots will only run 16x, PCI-Express 2.0

Iammykyl: So I will not be able to use the ATI Radeon HD 7950 (out 9th Jan) with my build?

YES you will be able to use the card in your build, BUT it will only run at the CPU native supported PCI-Express 2.0

You will need to wait for the upcoming release of Ive Bridge, http://news.softpedi...ed-241478.shtml

This post is about the clearest explanation I have come across. That last statement is not correct as other hardware can utilize the speed of PCI-Express 3.0, IE, add on RAID controller cards.

http://www.reddit.co...pci_express_30/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Will the CPU come with a bit of thermal paste? If not then I can buy my own, no problems

So just wondering about my PSU now.. do you guys think I should splash out on a slightly higher wattage one?

Please refer to post #2 where guidance on both questions are answered in more detail but yes obtain your own TIM, the kit shown in post #2 is available on ebay http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2568dded6f

Regarding the PSU, do not decide on a PSU until all other hardware is decided upon, then use a PSU calculator
http://www2.corsair.com/psufinder (example only).

FWIW: If I knew I needed a 750W PSU I would choose;
http://www.overclock...123&subcat=1084

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I think I will go with the stock HSF and then check temps using speedfan when I've been running Skyrim for a few hours on ultra. That way I can see if I'll need to buy another one.

Or another case fan. Understand there are several heat sensitive devices inside the computer case besides the CPU. So if your System, HD or GPU temps are high too, a better CPU fan won't help them one iota.

Let's put it this way - if you are not doing extreme overclocking and your CPU temps are still pushing 60°C or above, then you have failed to set up sufficient case cooling and you need to install more or better fans, or buy a case that provides better cooling.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,760 posts
Hate to keep bashing on about the same subject, but need a yes or no to the following and that it is understood by all.

The proposed GPU, (Radeon HD 7950,) is capable of utilizing PCI-Express 3.0.
The SB CPUs do not support PCI-Express 3.0.
When a 79xx series GPU is installed on a Z68 chipset Gen3 Motherboard it will only run at PCI-Express 2.0
For the 79xx series GPUs to utilize PCI-Express 3.0, they must be installed on a Z68 chipset Motherboard with an Ivy Bridge CPU.

OR

7xxx series GPU installed on a X79 chipset Motherboard together with a Sandy Bridge-E CPU.