Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attempt to clean temp.I-net files flashes error msg: "C:\WIND

• Please log in to reply

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Really hopeful for a fix, before I get a crash. This system is old, I know. After I was unable to remove my
temporary Internet files, I did try to get at the problem by systematically removing programs,one @a time then checking whether I could, then, remove my temp. I-net files, but I was unsuccessful. (At one point, I had to do a "system restore" because I must have deleted my 'sound' (lost it)

Oh, when I tried to get the specs of my computer I also got this msg: "(RED X): The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System 32\wbem\wbemcomn. dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

Spent quite a few hours trying to fix this, but I'm not a 'geek' (compliment) Please help. Thx.

Edited by phillpower2, 25 December 2011 - 01:09 PM.
OTL log removed.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
:welcome: Donna_Lee
Will the computer boot up and do you have the Windows or recovery disk/s that may have been provided with the computer?

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Phillpower2,
I wasn't sure that you were responding to me---thought for someone else! Yes, the computer does boot up (have had
a little problem at times) and whenever it first is started, I get a little 'beep-beep'....I have to click "F1", then "enter" to actually begin the starting process.

Also, yes, I do have all of the original CD's that came with my computer---purchased it new from Dell.

Thanks for responding, sorry I didn't realize it, tho. Donna_Lee

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi
Can you describe the beeps, one long and one short, two long and one short etc, also what model of Dell is it please?

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, Phillpower2, Even though I was watching for your reply, it wasn't until I pressed the 'stop watching this'
when I saw that you HAD already responded.....sorry again....
The beeps are two short ones, in quick succession. 'beep-beep!' (then I push F1, then enter) They are not loud
but audible. I have done this for years, though, so that isn't what I'm concerned about....perhaps, though, you
think that a gradual breakdown has occurred. After a crash one time, I had my daughter's boyfriend take my computer back to the 'stone age'(original format/& deleted superfluous programs).

This is a Dell 4600 series. Is that what you asked?

PS...(I'm adding this 10min after the above material.....I have to go for about
an hour, so can't be here for your reply, but I will be back as soon as I can.)

Edited by Donna_Lee, 25 December 2011 - 02:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Thanks for the computer details :thumbsup:
If you look at the back panel on the PC you will see four LED lights A.B.C.D can you tell me what colour the lights are please they may be A. amber B. amber C. green D. green for example.

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, again....The lights are ALL green....A, B, C, AND D.....GREEN.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

This means that your computer is at present functioning correctly this however can change when the PC is under load, some testing for you to do first so we can check your temps and voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

Once you have provided the screenshot use the Windows memory testing tool http://windows.micro...n-your-computer depending on the results we may need to run the more exhaustive Memtest86+

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, happyrock....I think this was successful, however, it seems as though my fan may be broken as it seemed
to be undetectable. Wish I was geekier. Here it is. Thanks

I'm sorry, I can't find Browse anywhere! Nor any way to send an attachment....where is 'browse?'

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi
Happyrock is not assisting here only I am and I merely used his "how to" send a screenshot instructions, here it is again;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Advertisements

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
FAN STUFF YOU WANTED.JPG

This means that your computer is at present functioning correctly this however can change when the PC is under load, some testing for you to do first so we can check your temps and voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

Once you have provided the screenshot use the Windows memory testing tool http://windows.micro...n-your-computer depending on the results we may need to run the more exhaustive Memtest86+

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Did you receive my screen view of the fan? I'm not sure whether I followed all of the steps correctly.
Let me know whether I should run the 'windows micro and your computer' link, or should I wait for any further
instructions? Thanks, Donna_Lee

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi thanks for the picture, unfortunately it doesn`t tell us a thing :confused:
Can you please try this http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html and again post a screenshot, once I have the screenshot could you do the first memory test please.

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
This site found over 400 errors, but I didn't push the 'fix now' button on that site. I have taken 2 screen shots.
Although I would have had to send many, many others to show you.

Attached Thumbnails

• errors found by regclean pro.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

This site found over 400 errors, but I didn't push the 'fix now' button on that site. I have taken 2 screen shots.
Although I would have had to send many, many others to show you.

Please stay away from all things that are anything to do with Registry cleaners, they can do more harm than good and render your computer useless see http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html for additional information.

Can you please only do the testing that I ask you to do please so as to avoid any mishaps.