Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attempt to clean temp.I-net files flashes error msg: "C:\WIND

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
No worries on either count - DNS flushed ok and more info than less is helpful.
Last two things to try now before checking that 1: your Xp installation is ok and 2: that you have not suffered a malware attack when torrents were being downloaded, the latter I cannot help you with but my colleagues on the Malware Forums are excellent and you will be in good hands if you do in fact require their assistance.
But first I suggest that you upgrade your IE7 to IE8 and uninstall Firefox and see how it goes for a while and then post back please.

IE8 download from http://windows.micro...er/downloads/ie

Having re-read the topic I noticed the option below has not been tried;

•Click Start, and then click Run. Type cleanmgr, and then click OK.
•Select the drive-letter for the current Windows installation and then click OK
•Select Temporary Internet Files from the list
•Uncheck all the other entries and click OK
•Click Yes to confirm deletion

Edited by phillpower2, 29 December 2011 - 10:54 AM.
Additional information provided.

Advertisements

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, I only tried the last part of the instructions about typing cleanmgr into the run dialog box, and when I did, I immediately got the msg.: (X) Cleanmgr is not a valid Win32 application! (Along with that I get the
DANGEROUS SOUND, which warns me that I'm trying to do something illegal) This sound is what I always get, perhaps
I didn't mention that before.

Now I will try doing the IE changes, & see how it goes. Write back at you when I do!
PS...Is there ANOTHER way to get at the listing that I just tried to do, so that
I can check the (temp. I-net files) & uncheck all other entries? Perhaps I could
try that, if so.

Edited by Donna_Lee, 29 December 2011 - 11:26 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

If you do need to start a topic on the Malware Forum please provide a link to this thread so that the Malware Tech can see what steps have already been taken, good luck.

Donna_Lee

Donna_Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, I will let you know how this all turns out....your assistance has been invaluable to me. I really
didn't think I'd be able to keep up with your instructions to attempt a fix, but you have made it easier for me.
Thank you so much, Donna_Lee

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
You are welcome and I look forward to hearing back from you when you have the all clear of malware.