Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PS3 controller won't connect with USB

• Please log in to reply

plzreturn2cali

plzreturn2cali

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I'm not the most experienced gamer, but I do enjoy my Black Ops and Red Dead Redemption. I got my PS3 on Craigslist in nearly mint condition shortly after the PSN crashed (everybody was selling their systems after that. I got a great deal, and none of my information was compromised, haha). It came with a controller, and I bought another on eBay for multiplayer. The one I got on eBay turned out to be a generic and needs an adapter plugged into the USB. Not the best controller in the world, but it does okay. The original controller recently went completely dead -- wouldn't respond when I plugged it in or pressed the PS button. After doing some research, I wonder if it was as simple as pressing the reset button, but oh well. Anyways, to my issue...

This morning, I got two new Sony controllers, yay! too bad they won't sync... The same thing happens with both. I press the PS button and the 4 buttons flash for a few seconds, but instead of connecting to the PS3, they turn off. Nothing happens when I plug them in. The cord does work; I tested it with my generic, and it charges that. Exact same thing happens with the lights whether the controller is connected to the USB or not. I've tried resetting both, from lightly poking the buttons, pressing them normally, holding them for 1 full second, 3 seconds, and 5 seconds...

I think I have a very vague memory of my friend bringing over her controller shortly after I got the PS3 so we could do multiplayer on black ops, but I think it didn't sync either. We didn't try resetting hers.

Sooooooo.....am I a PS3 retard or is there something screwy with the system itself, or what? I'm super frustrated and would really like to use my new controllers...any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Turn on your PS3 with the controller hooked up to it with the USB cord, and see if it will sync. The controller also sounds like it needs charging.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
OR: Try resetting your controller. Flip your controller over look to the top. You'll see one of the screws that holds together your controller. Right next to that is a very small hole. Thats the reset button you'll need something small like tooth pick or a paper clip to depress it. Anytime you have controller issues try resetting it.

plzreturn2cali

plzreturn2cali

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
RESOLVED! I had tried all of the above, but it turned out I needed an official PS3 cord to get it to work. I had to replace mine, and I had cheaped out and gotten a generic, which wasn't letting me sync the controllers. I borrowed my friend's official one, and voila, problem solved.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

RESOLVED! I had tried all of the above, but it turned out I needed an official PS3 cord to get it to work. I had to replace mine, and I had cheaped out and gotten a generic, which wasn't letting me sync the controllers. I borrowed my friend's official one, and voila, problem solved.

Good to hear you got it solved :)

mknor

mknor

• Pip
  • 5 posts

OK my ps3 did not want to connect  to any **bleep** controller.  I reset  the ps3, I reset the controller,  I turn it  off, unplugged power and every combination in between.  I wanted to smash it with a hammer--connect to this you evil $!&*!#.   So in a last ditch effort I bought a wired 6axis controller.  Still nothing so I plugged in a mouse and it worked!  I could at least navigate the menu and I did a complete format and restore.  Took forever.  When it restarted I tried the controller and nothing!!  So I unplugged it and moved it  to the other USB port (the farthest one left or closest to the edge.  I tried the x button and BOOM I was in business.

dylanbeck2525

dylanbeck2525

• Pip
  • 1 posts
on my PS3 neither of the USB ports work to charge or connect my controllers I got a new thing that will charge them but I need to know how to connect them to my PS3 without them being plugged into the PS3 does anybody know anything about this?

Caliburn

Caliburn

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

on my PS3 neither of the USB ports work to charge or connect my controllers I got a new thing that will charge them but I need to know how to connect them to my PS3 without them being plugged into the PS3 does anybody know anything about this?

Unfortunately, the only way to pair a controller with a console requires a working USB port.

Edited by Caliburn, 26 July 2015 - 07:35 AM.