Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate

• Please log in to reply

obxtess

obxtess

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone!

Got a huge problem. I took my gateway modem to who i thought was a good friend. He works on PC's, installs software for local companies, etc. He installed windows 7 ultimate on my gateway. About 6months after installing, i would get the message " you may have been a victim of pirating software" and that windows 7 is not genuine. I contacted person and he told me it was a genuine version(thinking he lied). Anyway, how do i dump my computer, get 7 ultimate off and install windows 7? I have recently bought windows 7 and when i popped it into the cd drive, my computer told me that i need to install a compatible version. Please Help!!!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

The answer, on the information you have supplied, is unfortunately not straight forward.

He installed windows 7 ultimate on my gateway. About 6months after installing, i would get the message " you may have been a victim of pirating software" and that windows 7 is not genuine. I contacted person and he told me it was a genuine version(thinking he lied).

1. Firstly did you contact Microsoft and if so what was their reply.?

2. Were you provided with an installation DVD.?

3. Was this a paid for job - or a free service of some sort.?

4. What operating system was on the computer BEFORE the friend installed Windows 7 Ultimate?

I have recently bought windows 7 and when i popped it into the cd drive, my computer told me that i need to install a compatible version.

WHAT version have you bought and is it 32 bit or 64 bit. AND what is the existing Ultimate installation 32 bit or 64 bit.?
Also from where did you purchase this please