Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing mouse pointer; one year old DELL.

• Please log in to reply

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
We have a new Dell "Studio XPS"? Whatever they call this thing. The mouse pointer began freezing and lagging behind intermittently. If you drag the mouse across the screen, the pointer may stop in its tracks for a second and then just disappear and reappear in a new location. This makes me feel like it's not the mouse itself, but rather the software since the mouse data is being processed, but the pointer is not being advanced. I ran the trouble shooting utility in Windows which did nothing. I'm being told by the primary user that the pointer locked up completely and the system had to be "unplugged" (it could have been restarted with key shortcuts, but whatever). When started afterwards, the mouse functioned normally for a while.

Interestingly enough, Dell customer service has been calling the user ever since the trouble began, informing the user that their (Dell's) "routers" (whatever they mean by this) detected a problem with the user's computer. According to Dell, the system is on the verge of crashing and only Dell technicians can fix it; and they want money. Right. Seriously, what's going on?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for windowsor any software just prior to the problem...
what is the make and model of your computer...
what are your system specs...
did it ever work correctly...if so...try system restore
go back at least a week before you started having problems...
do you have a anti virus program and have you updated it and run it

'puter gunna die

'puter gunna die

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Alright, well I ran Malware Bytes just in case and found nothing. No updates of any kind were performed (to my knowledge). No new hardware was added. This came out of the blue along with the call from Dell. As for the make and model; I have to go to these people's house to find out (and try system restore), so I'll get back to you on that. Thanks for replying.