Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New graphics card causing problems.

• Please log in to reply

comput313

comput313

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just upgraded my graphics card to HIS Radeon HD 4350 (AGP). When i try to start my computer, all the hardware turns on, but it doesn't boot. My monitor gets no signal and the beep that usually indicates a good start is absent. When I remove the card everything is fine and i can boot using the integrated graphics. What is wrong?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: comput313
You need to provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Does your computer have a PSU (power supply unit) that has an output of 300W or greater and have you tried installing the new cards drivers before actually fitting the card?

comput313

comput313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My computer is:
CPU: Pentium D 915
RAM: 2 GB (not sure what brand, but i checked and both work.)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 (80 GB, 19 Free)
Motherboard: P4M800 Pro mATX w/Lan
Power Supply: Allied AL-D500EXP (500 watt)
Case: mATX chassis.

I have installed the drivers already using the disk.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If you check the first link you will see that the card was intended to work with Vista (click specification tab and then see the bottom of the page).
http://www.hisdigita...duct2-498.shtml
At this link AMD provides Xp AGP drivers for your card (hotfixes) it is not an uncommon event with the later AGP cards to not come bundled with Xp drivers.
http://support.amd.c...tAGPHotfix.aspx
I cannot see anything else that is preventing the card from working so if it not the drivers I would suspect the card or the slot, let us know if you require assistance installing the drivers but make sure that you completely uninstall the present drivers and start afresh installing the new drivers or you will get conflicts.

comput313

comput313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The box claims to be compatible with xp and i installed the hotfix. No luck. A friend suggested flashing the BIOS. Could that help?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok if not the drivers then the card, the slot or the PSU are possible causes.
From your OP;

My monitor gets no signal and the beep that usually indicates a good start is absent.

This indicates that the PC is failing to P.O.S.T http://www.poweronselftest.com/
Can I ask where you obtained the card and if it is covered by a warranty?

A friend suggested flashing the BIOS. Could that help?

Unless something is completely way of mark you will never be told 100% yes or no whether something will fix your computer as to do so could be disappointing for you, I can however say with almost 100% certainty that flashing the BIOS will not resolve the issue but it could render your MB unusable if the flash went wrong, that is why it should always be a last resort.

Post back with the requested info and we can move on from there with a couple of tests for you to do.

comput313

comput313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I got it from tigerdirect.com and i think it still is under warranty. I will be gone from it and the computer (visiting family for new years) until the 2nd.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If the card is new then it is under warranty unless it has been damaged.
Enjoy the New year festivities and post back when you are ready.

comput313

comput313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am available again, how should I proceed?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Welcome back, couple of things for you to do so we can have a look at your PSU output;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download and run HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

Advertisements

comput313

comput313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here are the screenshots you requested, remember the problem card is not installed in the screenshots.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan1.JPG
  • CPUID1.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Voltages look ok at present so that may rule out a weak PSU so lets see what drivers etc you have installed;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

comput313

comput313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24731868

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the url, it shows that there are no drivers installed for the add on video card only the MBs integrated video chip Display Adapters VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP VIA/S3G
You also have other issues going on with the performance of your PC and once your video card is sorted I can help you with the rest if you like.

comput313

comput313

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think whats happening is when I run the disk or download the drivers from the web site, it runs Catalyst. Catalyst scans my system and doesn't find the card since it isn't installed, therefore it doesn't install the drivers required. How can i get the drivers directly?