Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New dvd rw problems

• Please log in to reply

compprob200

compprob200

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

i just got a new dvdrw and fitted it in to my master ide and i had anothe dvdrom in my secondary ide. most of the time when i put a disc in it doesnt recgonise it and thincks its a blanc disc. it only somtimes works when i put the disk in the drive and then rebot the computer with the disc in it. this problem happens with both cds and dvd.

please help
thanks
compprob200

Advertisements

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
a few suggestions;

Check all ide cables.

Check if you have the jumpers on both drives configured correctly. (you need to switch them according to the placement on the ide cable to slave or master)

Update your MoBo bios to it's latest version.
Update your DVD's firmware to the latest version.

Check if your drive works correctly in another pc.

Tip: never hook your cd- or dvd drive to the same ide cable as the HD because it will slow your HD down to the DMA of the cd/dvd. (ide is only as fast as the slowest device)

Hope this helps.

Webslinger

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hold off on updateing dvd firmware, if you do that and it is a fault with DVD Drive then you will invalidate the gaurantee.

Is it a Samsung/toshiba by any chance?

compprob200

compprob200

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
They are sony and a pioneer ones