Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In the market for a mechanical keyboard

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm looking into buying a mechanical keyboard to replace my Logitech G15 Refresh. I love the G15, but depending on what's going on in my life I can spend 10-14 hours a day on my computer and my G15 is starting to give out a little bit. It's still working fine, but i've been noticing that the tactile response from some keys is feeling a little different (likely due to wearing out I guess). Anyway, considering i'm doing an application programming major, I spend more time than ever furiously typing for hours on end, and I want to get a much more resilient keyboard (I also spend a looottt of time playing video games too, it's not just programming stuff :P).

The problem is that there are two things i'd really loathe giving up on a keyboard - Media controls, and backlit keys. Especially the backlit keys, and the only mechanical keyboard I can find with these is the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - and i'm not a fan of Razer. I've had so many issues with my Razer Copperhead, and the warranty turnaround time was in excess of 4 months, so i'm just not that keen on them anymore, but it's still a possibility.

So really i'm looking for some advice about mechanical keyboards. I'm used to the LCD on the G15, but all I ever use it for is for keeping track of what song i'm listening to, so it won't really be missed a lot :P

Edit: Does anyone know anything about the quality of WASD custom keyboards? They seem pretty cool and not too expensive considering you can change most things about the keys. www.wasdkeyboards.com

Edited by Seltox, 27 December 2011 - 02:31 AM.

Advertisements