Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Dvd-rom can't burn CD's but can burn DVD's.

• Please log in to reply

rei158

rei158

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I recently noticed when I had to burn a CD my dvd-rom would fail and I tried it lots of times and it would fail then too. Though I have also burnt DVD's and they were burnt fine with out a problem. And a long time before I had burned CD's successfuly too but not anymore.
My DVD-Rom is Optiarc DVD RW AD-7201A ATA. And I use Nero 8.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi rei158
Optical drives do not last forever, they are mechanical and do fail due to nothing more than normal use, CD and DVD burners use differerent lasers for each and it is the most commonly used CD burner that fails first, that said try;

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions :thumbsup:

Do not be tempted to use a CD lens cleaning kit as you will most likely be able to purchase a new drive for a similar cost and 99.9% of the time they don`t work.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
For step for 4, which I delete. It just shows me IDE channels. Shall I uninstall the one which shows this?Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No, you should only uninstall entries that are listed as;

- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I can't find those...where excactly should i look? in properties?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

For step for 4, which I delete. It just shows me IDE channels. Shall I uninstall the one which shows this?Untitled.jpg

Right click on the first two IDE channels then uninstall, reboot your computer and see if the Found New Hardware Wizard reinstalls the device for you.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hmm, It now failed at 96%, but I tried with lower speed 32X and then it failed too. Then I tried with 8x speed(kinda then same speed I write DVD's) and it burned successfully. Does this just means my dvd-writer is getting old(my computer is 3 years old)?Tried a simulation too, then it failed and showed some SCSI error.

Edited by rei158, 28 December 2011 - 05:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Then I tried with 8x speed(kinda then same speed I write DVD's) and it burned successfully. Does this just means my dvd-writer is getting old(my computer is 3 years old)?
3 years is not very old but it does depend on how often it is used and whether it looked after correctly, as for the copying speeds is it something you can put up with + keep in mind it may drop to 4x.

Tried a simulation too, then it failed and showed some SCSI error.

Did it give you an error code and if so can you provide it with your next reply.

Suggestions: Try a new data transfer cable and an alternative burning software such as http://www.imgburn.com/ which is excellent.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
It says SCSI status 1. And why are there those speed downfalls? Does it mean something? Optiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7201A_1.05_29-December-2011_15_22.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The error message means;

RECOVERED ERROR
Last Command was completed successfully with some error recovery action by the drive

The drive slowing down may be caused by the drive failing, poor power supply or the burning software itself.
There is nothing you can do about a failing drive other than replace it, try another power supply from the PSU and try updating your present Nero http://www.nero.com/...ds-nbl-free.php or using imgburn as I previously suggested.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Okay. thanks for your help and time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome, let us know how it goes or if we can help you with anything further.