Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dad/son bonding - first build - maybe I rushed

• Please log in to reply

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Re-ran the test and now the numbers make more sense. At idle the temp is 23 deg C (same as my house thermostat) and at full load the temp got up to 41 deg C. Not sure what happended previously but will chalk it up to user error or newly installed programs needing a reboot.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Those sound good - certainly 41°C is excellent (I get nervous at 60°C).

While my wife is always complaining the house it too cold

A nice cashmere sweater and warm slippers will fix that - at least until the newness wears off! ;)

Gravy4672

Gravy4672

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The temps are again reading low. These are the core temps. These are different than the CPU temp ? Here is a screen screen shot. Does this make sense ?temp screen shot1.jpg

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No, they don't make sense. Since your room temperature is not in the single digits, no way core temps are. Depending on where the sensor is physically located, and how the information is interpreted, it is common for the CPU temp to be a little different from the core temps. But in any case, the Laws of Physics just does not allow for a fan blowing room temperature air on a chunk of non-living matter to cool that matter less than the air temperature. Chill factor and heat index only apply to stuff like living flesh.

If your MSI disk has a hardware monitor, you might try that. Or you might try SpeedFan. Otherwise, in searching on this problem, I note several users complaining that the temperatures displayed were unrealistically low. If you boot into the BIOS Setup Menu and look under PC Health (or something similar) temperatures may be shown there and if unrealistic there too, then you might keep your eye out for a BIOS update from MSI. But do note running the BIOS Setup Menu is about the least demanding task we can ask of our computers so those temps are not a good representation of temps when the system is under load.

If you are really concerned, I recommend you use this as justification to buy yourself a nice Infrared Temperature Gun. Great for also checking how hot the grill, frying pan or dog's nose is (making sure the laser pointer is not pointed at eyes, of course).