Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Disappearing Shortcuts"

• Please log in to reply

fenix1

fenix1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I give up! Thank GOD i found this site...think maybe someone here can help. Love my icons had a bunch until they mysteriously disappeared...i mean NONE and my start menu as well. There is NO MALWARE on this machine! I've tried Rogue Killer, Unhide, Shexview, Malwarebytes, Spybot S& D, Stinger, and a few others. Finally did a Restore and on the reboot got caught in a loop. system couldn't load all the services. Thankfully i had a repair disk and booted from the cd. Had to copy entire OS from D drive mirror copy.
didn't know by default this fine OS only allows 4 icons after it runs weekly maintenance. This i find ridiculous...thanks ms! I have downloaded OTL so if i can find someone to analyze results and suggest a fix i would really appreciate it. Been working on this problem for two days and i have had it. First time in 16 years i haven't been able to solve a problem on my computers. Never saw anything like this...please help! Like windows 7 but had i known this i'd stayed with Vista.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Please see this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980

fine OS only allows 4 icons after it runs weekly maintenance

That is not the case. The reference to four is only in respect of broken links

When there are more than four broken shortcuts on the desktop, the System Maintenance troubleshooter automatically removes all broken shortcuts from the desktop.

I consider the first problem when they all disappeared, together with the Start menu to be different to what you are experiencing now.
Do you have any desktop management software installed

OTL logs are not allowed in this forum, only in the Malware forum.

Are the icons that have NOW dispappeared from the desktop still in
C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Desktop ...

What is the situation if you boot to Safe Mode.
What is the result if you clean boot it
If either of these work, it is more than likely other software on the computer that is the cause.

If all the above fails, establish a new user account, create the shortcut icons and see if the same circumstances prevail.

fenix1

fenix1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have acer erecovery management...didn't work.
Did All other suggestons you made to no avail. New user account has only names on desktop...no icons and no start menu. Will go to malwaresite. thanks much! charlie

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I was about to provide you with the guidance to the Malware forum but I see you have already posted the same as the first post in this forum, with alight changes to cover the clean boot etc.
I recommend you go back following the advice in this link
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Do NOT create a second post, but edit your first one. As a second post by you creates the impression when the Malware expert are looking for unanswered posts that yours has been replied to.

If you read the instructions in the link you will see that you should post your OTL log.
Additionally please provide in Malware a link to this thread., so that the person assisting may see what you have tried here.

When I mentioned Desktop management software I was referring to such programs as the Windows7 Themes on this link
http://www.soft32.co...loads_last_week
which are known to cause many problems with the nornmal Windows desktop management. (NOT PARTICULARLY that program but any similar software.)

Please be patient as they are very busy in the Malware forum and it may be sometime before anyone can assist you.
IF AFTER THREE CLEAR DAYS you have not received a reply you may post in the Waiting Room.

You may also wish to consider editing the line in captals I DO NOT HAVE ANY MALWARE., possibly I have scanned with and they have not found any infection.
The most telling aspect is that Safe Mode Clean Boot and a new user account exhibit the same problems.

Good Luck.

fenix1

fenix1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I appreciate ur help. Normally i read instructions first but was so "flusterred" with this problem i guess i lost my ability to reason temporarily...not good. Anyways, i thankyou for your' suggestions and your' time...charlie

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for taking the trouble to post - good luck in the Malware forum.