Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a computer help

• Please log in to reply

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I am looking to build my own pc. I was wondering what would be good parts for a gaming platform that i am willing to spend up to $600 on? If you can help reply to the post or e-mail me at 'email removed'. Please put computer help in the topic line. Thanks

-Nick-

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Removed your email to protect your privacy. We have bots that roam our forums that pick off any email address found. Once found, they will start sending a load of unwanted spam.

Nathan
Geeks to Go Admin Team

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
welcome nick

i would go with

amd (either the 3000+ or the 3200) and then you can overclock it
atleast 512 or 1 gig ddr
80-160 gig hd
dvd-rw
case

that you can get for about 450- and that leaves the motherboard which is up to you and what you want it can range from 50 to 150 or more

do you have any parts specificly in mind?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
$600 isn't a very big budget for a gaming PC. Does that include monitor, keyboard, mouse, keyboard, etc?

Here's some parts I'd recommend...

AMD 2500+ mobile CPU (overclock to 3200+)
Abit nForce2 motherboard (stable, great overclocker)
CPU Cooler (quiet and cool)
Video cards going to be a tough call within your budget, maybe an ATI9600
512MB DDR PC-3200
80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
CD-R/W
You'll need some decent speakers if you don't have any.
Mid Tower Case with 350W Power Supply

Should fit your budget. <_<

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thank you for that. Didn't know that you aren't supposed to put on e-mail addresses. If you have any help for building a computer, can you give it?

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I want to build a gaming PC, but i'm not into running Doom 3 but maybe counter-strike 2 and halo 2. And of course, the older games like battlefield. Well i may buy the speakers, keyboard, mouse and case from a site called newegg.com. They are fairly cheap. The case is $58, and comes with a 400 watt power supply, the keyboard and mouse are about $20 and i would get the speakers from XPCGear.com which has alien speakers for around $35. I'll give the links to the products, if someone can tell me if they are ok or not.

Here is the link for the case- http://www.newegg.co...-124-064&depa=1.

A link for a cd/rw drive that matches the case-http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-120-152&DEPA=0.

The link for the keyboard and mouse-http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=23-165-007&DEPA=0

Here is the speakers-
http://www.newegg.co...-165-007&DEPA=0

There are the parts i am looking at. As you can tell, i'm a newbie <_< Thanks

-Nick-

m1573rb0j4ngl35

m1573rb0j4ngl35

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey yo,

Just gonna pass along a bit of info I got from admin, but you may want to buy a case that comes without a power supply and then find a power supply at Best Buy or somewhere that sells name brand power supply's. I guess some of them that come with the cases are junk and/or unreliable. Just thought I'd mention this so Blair didn't have to repeat himself <_< Besides...I don't mind helping a friend anyway.

Can't help with much else cause I just went through the same thing...

†Јüşтϊй†

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This article might be a good place to start:
http://www.extremete...,1558045,00.asp

Dorrod

Dorrod

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi, Im not sure if this place is the cheapest around, but ive bought 2 PCs from there and they have great service. www.Maincomp.com

Your 600 dollar budget was the same one i had. For under 600 ( thats including shipping BUT i already had a vid card and monitor )

the vid card i have is an ATI 9000Pro 128 mb, 2 years old, runs fine.

about 4 months ago i got an AMD XP 2600+, 1 gig of DDR 3200 ram, 120 gig HDD, 3 piece speaker set, case w/ handle on top, side window, some lights, and a 400 wat power supply. Optical mouse, quite key board, 52x CDRW, 52X CDrom, floppy, no operating system ) came built already. Awsome for a staring gamer PC.

For a 600 dollar budget, i dont think thats a bad deal. And this all came in exactly 7 days.

About 2 weeks ago i ordered this pc.

$1200.

P4 3.4 w/ hyperthreading, 2 gigs DDR 3200 ram, 80 gig HDD, 128 MB Geforce vid card, crappy speakers, no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse, 52X CDRW drive, 52x CDrom, floppy, case with side window, lights, and a 480w power supply. Comes built. Its a pretty bad [bleep] PC.

Like i said im not sure if those are awsome prices, but great service...if they find something is incompatable and they didnt mention it on there site, they call you! and give you the upgrade for free...no 1800 number but pretty friendly tech support.

Homelessclown

Homelessclown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the help, i am going to look at that site. A Relative of mine has built 25 or so computers, because he owned a web cafe. He got his parts and cases from newegg.com, which has 2 day shipping for about $17, which isn't bad, its just i can't spend a whole lot of money, a teenager on a limited budget, and no job yet. But that is coming. Well if anyone has any more posts, go right ahead.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
yea newegg.com is aweosme- dont pay for the 2 day shipping usually its always shipping for free if you wait for a couple more days i think- i order through them all the time tigerdirect is cheap and also for your processor use 3btech.com

i would use the amd 3000 and overclock it- 512 ddr- dvd-rw, case, mobo (ur decision), video card...the works for about 500 and that would be an awesoome machine