Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP desktop won't connect where win 7 laptop does.

• Please log in to reply

mordrogyn

mordrogyn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yesterday we had cable installed and I set up a wireless network, we have 4 laptops in the house all running win 7 and a desktop running win xp sp3.

The laptops all connect fine to the wifi (wpa2 secured) but the desktop refuses to, I am thinking that may have something to do with the security, since it freely connects to i guess the neighbors open wifi.

However upon hardwiring the desktop through the router I constantly get a limited or no connectivity message back.
I plugged directly to the modem to make sure the issue was not the router and get the same message. Have checked for driver updates (built in realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast) and there are apparently none.
The computer is set to automatically obtain ip address and dns server address.

Can anyone offer me any help?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeesktoGo.

Before the installation of the new cable and the setting up of the wireless network, did this desktop connect to the internet, on whatever arrangement you had.

If the computer is branded please post the make and full model.

What is the wireless adaptor in use please on the computer - a USB adaptor OR a PCI wireless card installed in the computer.

I think it best to deal with the wired ethernet connection first.

Go Start, Control Panel, Network Connections and right click the wireless connection adaptor and disable it.
After a short time it should then show Disabled on that adaptor.

Now look please at the ethernet connection. What is show there please - enabled etc.

Now go please Start, My Computer and right click that entry, click properties, on the window that opens click hardware, then click the device manager button.
On the list of devices, expand network connections and see if the ethernet connection is shown.
Is there any warning.
Also whilst there - what is shown please for the wireless adaptor.

PROVIDING there is NO warning shown on the ethernet adaptor, please go back to Control Panel, Network Connections and right click on the ethernet connection and then click properties
Ensure please in the window that opens, that the correct device is shown in the top entry.
Confirm then please by clicking on the Configure butrton to the right of the device entry that when the window opens the entry is THIS DEVICE IS WORKING PROPERLY.

If it IS - close that window - right click again on the device and click properties - this time ensure that TCP/IP is shown and highlight that and then click the properties button below the central window - please confirm that on the window that opens both entries are indeed obtain automatically.

IF at anytime during these procedures something is disclosed that is not correct then either explore that and remedy or post if you need further advice.

IF the above does not lead to a solution.

Go Start, run and type cmd
Click OK
When the cmd window opens at the prompt type
ipconfig /all | clip ( note space betwen ipconfig and the /all and between all and the | pipe cmd.)
key enter.
That will send the results to the clipboard., minimize the cmd window
Open word New
right click and click paste.
OR edit and paste.
Reopen the cmd window and type
echo off |clip
key enter
then type
exit
key enter
That will close the cmd window
Send those reults please on your reply.

mordrogyn

mordrogyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer is not branded, its one i built about 6 years ago, and only the kids use it now.

It will freely connect to open wifi but not to secured, and where we live now i cannot leave it unsecured, as I said I beleive this to be an issue with the WPA2 but that is no issue as long as I can hardwire it in.

Ethernet connection shows:

Local Area Network
Little or no Concectivity
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

There are no warnings at all on the device manager
Wirelss adapter shows:

Wireless-G PCI Adapter and is working fine (though now disabled as per your instruction)

Realtk RTL8139/810x shows as working properly in the properties after right clicking the ethernet connection.

TCP/IP is displayed and properties are showing obtain automatically

ipconfig /all | clip ( note space betwen ipconfig and the /all and between all and the | pipe cmd.)

Gives me an error:

'clip' is not recognized s an internal or external command, operable program or batc file

Think I did something wrong here.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SORRY my mistake. Forgot no inherent facility in Xp for that clip cmd..Works Vista and 7.
I know you said XP where Win7 does - but I mistakenly forgot when posting that it was XP that had the problem

type
ipconfig /all >ip

that is ipconfig (space) /all (space) >ip

that > sends the output to a txt file
it will be in your folder C docs and settings under you user name

Sorry about the clip. error.

mordrogyn

mordrogyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : john-huqovbjk2z

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-EA-3F-00-9E

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Ethernet adapter {AC1566D9-D2EB-425B-B493-A5B17819E013}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Anchorfree HSS Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-AC-15-66-D9

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here and guess that the Media disconnected is the problem.
Not sure what that is about, the ethernet card on that machine is built in and connected to the router (I did try connecting direct to the modem before if i did not also mention that)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
go back please to cmd prompt

type

ipconfig /release

key enter

type

ipconfig /flushdns

key enter

type
ipconfig /renew

key enter

Reboot and try again connecting - you may need to reconnect on the adaptor.

mordrogyn

mordrogyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Got an error:

No action can be performed on while it has its media disconnected

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well it was a chance if we had limited connectivity.

Do you know how to create a restore point if so please do.
Briefly
Start
programs
accessories
system tools
system restore.

The please download this
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

on to another computer. Save and run it on this computer.

TO ELIMINATE any possible confusion that is Winsockfix you are downloading not any of the other offerings on that link

mordrogyn

mordrogyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, that fixed it!

Thank you very much

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am so pleased for you.

It is a brilliant little FIXIT but should always be really the last resort.

I would if I was you go back to cmd and enter
ipconfig /all.

Then you know what it should be showing.
You can save the file as you did when you sent it me - not on the clip :thumbsup:

sorry once again for that.

If it fails again, please post back, as we must then examine what is changing your winsock settings.
You could now if you wish disable the ethernet and try the wireless again.
If it will not actually connect to the internet - see if it will on wireless ping the router

That is cmd and
ping - then the IP address of the router.

you should receive four pkts sent and four received in millseconds with no delay.

mordrogyn

mordrogyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks yeah I have saved the settings so i can look at them if it messes up again.
It still doesn't connect to the wifi, as I said I think that's an issue with the WPA2 security as it does ask for the password but then just kind of sits there thinking about connecting but never actually managing.

That's no big deal though as the dekstop is next to the router so the hard wired way works fine.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not exactly know how that setup works, but for instance when you go Network Connections and then right click the wireless adaptor and click properties, then click the Wireless Networks tab

You should then see in the lower window. the networks - are you certain the one you are trying to connect to IS the one you are inserting the key for - in otherwords, if you check the name of the connection shown in the window and then highlight it and click the properties button, you will then have the security details window
Also on the top of the first window are you using windows to manage that connection OR another program - this is the aspect that how your system is setup - is what I cannot know from the information I have.

If you disable the ethernet - right click and click disable, then on the Wireless networks window - click the View Wireless networks - that will then scan for the available networks if Windows is managing it.

If it is seeing YOUR wireless network and you can ping the router wirelessly , with the ethernet disabled and then try inserting that IP address of the router in your browser address bar, see if it will connect that way.
If still no luck then I would definitely check again, using Windows to manage it, on a scan for available networks and ensure it is finding yours.

Good luck.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
IMHO I would leave the desktop wired - much faster.
If you want to try the wireless. On win 7 go to Network & sharing center>change adapter setting.
Double click on wireless network connection> wireless properties>security tab.
This will show security type and the encryption type. This is were things can be different.
You can also click on show characters to check the password.
Check the XP machine is it using the same exact same security and encryption type.

Cheers
peterm