Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Keyboard...

• Please log in to reply

smittyd

smittyd

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop. The problem is that the right side of my keyboard won't work. Well, actually just a few keys work on the right side. I bought a new keyboard and replaced it. Still the same thing is happening on the right side. Any suggestions? Thanks...

smittyd

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Would I be correct in presuming that this is the same laptop with the same problem as your thread in 2009, when you posted this

Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. Majority of the right side of my keyboard does not work. I bought a new keyboard, but it's doing the same thing. When I use a keyboard through the USB port , this keyboard works. Any other solutions? Thanks...

As if it is a DIFFERENT laptop, it is an amazing coincidence and if it IS the same as the post in 2009, as the external keyboard works and the NEW laptop keyboard panel does not - I think we may safely presume it is an internal error on the keyboard connection wiring.

Alternatively depending on what you mean by the right side - only a few keys work
Try
FN + num lock or just num lock.
and scroll lock.
In otherwords do you have them ON

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thanks for the reply...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
smittyd

You are more than welcome, was it by ANY chance the number lock.
If not then I really do believe it is a wiring fault on the cable connection to the keyboard, depending on what exactly you mean by the right side.
Especially if it is the same laptop as you asked about in 2009.

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I guess I need to clarify myself: The right side meaning the right half of the letters. Like from "Y" on towards the right. The numbers and such are working. It may, as you stated , be the wiring. I guess my main question, then, should be, can this wiring be fixed. Is it something I can do or should I let a professional take of that part? Thanks...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The honest and straightforward answer is - I DO NOT KNOW
See this
http://support.dell....d.htm#wp1084976

I would be absolutely amazed if this problem can be resolved on any internet site.
My opinion is - the cable is not properly connected - or the connector on the system board is damaged.

However if the fault on the replacement keyboard is exactly the same as the one on the original - one may suspect that it is not that, as the cable is not detachable from the keyboard - is it? - and there is no reason to suspect that the connection was faulty - until the original keyboard was removed.

However - the solution if you can find it will be enlightining. - I mean that sincerely

Good luck with it

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thanks. I'll let you know if I somehow resolve this issue.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
smittyd

Thanks. I'll let you know if I somehow resolve this issue.

How are you progressing with this please.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I had one like this a few years back...the laptop was left outside and it rained...
after a complete drying out the laptop keys would work intermittently then stop taking any input using most of the keys...a few would work but it was random and after wasting waaaaaaay to many hours and money trying to fix it...it was cannibalized for parts that were sold

smittyd

smittyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I have not resolved the issue yet. At this time, though, I'm presuming it's the wire from the keyboard to the motherboard. Will report back when issue is resolved. Again, thanks...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thks for the update good luck with it.