Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore will not work...

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I am unable to restore my computer by using system restore. I am using XP. Lately seems I am having nothing but trouble with this machine. If anyone can I help me out, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
System Restore is unreliable in XP and has been since it was released. The best way to protect yourself from the problems System Restore was supposed to fix is to do image backups of your hard drive to an external (or 2nd internal ) hard drive using software like Acronis True Image (not free) or Macrium Reflect Free.

What problem are you trying fix with System Restore? Maybe we can help you with it?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I keep getting messages about closing my site down. They come almost everytime I go to a new site. So, I thought if I would go back to an earlier date this could be elimated. But, my system restore will not go back to any date. So, I still have the problem and now cannot use system restore.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What web browser are you using, Internet Explorer? If so, try running it without any add-ons, see if that helps.

Click Start then Run, type iexplore -extoff and press Enter or click on Go.

-- or --

Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

If this resolves the problem, then from IE, click on Tools then Manage Add-ons.
Disable a few at a time and check the web site, see if it works or not.
When you find the one that is causing the problem leave it disabled then you can enable the others , or leave them disabled. The fewer add-ons you have active the less negative impact they have on your browser.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I did everything you said and my machine says add-ons are off. Then I am told to go and download a new program that will effect my computer if I don't. I am really not able to understand all that a computer does, I just use it and at times get it fixed. This seems so silly a problem but it is bothersome when I am in a new program and they always want to shut it down. About the add-ons, how do you know what ones are important to keep and what are not? This is not a trick question, I have no idea. Thank you for helping me. Guess you will soon find out that I am not up on all the tricks of the trade for this machine. I just wish it would run right and make me happy.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I find that I am still unable to do a system restore. Thank you for all your help.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Sharon,

If I may, when you say:

Then I am told to go and download a new program that will effect my computer if I don't.

Can you tell us exactly what that message says? The reason I ask is because sometime a rouge antispyware program will try to get you to install it. It will say something like problems have been found on your computer and if you don't download a certain program your computer could be affected. If it's something like that, do not download the program. Let us know instead.

Thanks!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There are no required add-ons. If you disable them all Internet Explorer will work fine.

Godawgs is right, you may have some kind of malware. To be sure, go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I receive this message: Active X is off. Some webpages might not display correctly . Then they show me how to get it back and I can't even do that right. See, I really am not at all at the top of computer class.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
My computer will not let me download the Malware and Spyware. I am finding so many different things abouth this machine. If not for loving it, I would give it away. Sorry to be such a problem. I just don't know what to do or where to go from here.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Follow the directions I gave you to check foe Malware.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have tried to download this but it will not download. I have read what it says to do and I follow the directions and it still will not download.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is it OTL that you are trying to download? If so, start a new thread in the malware forum. Tell them you cannot download OTL and they will help you.

Post a link to this thread so they know why you are posting there.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I will try this. I was up in the wee hours of the morning working on this. Yesterday was my birthday and I was 66. Now that may tell you why I am not to good at this. I do try and I so appreciate your help in this matter. I shall work on this after lunch. By the way, have a Happy New Year.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have copied several things to do here. I have CA Security on my computer, provided by Road Runner. From what I have read, this may be the biggest problem. Will try to follow instructions and see what will happen next. Thank you so much for all your help.