Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to install microsoft windows recovery console

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
greenwarrior

You are NOT annoying me in the slightest. I NEVER get annoyed by anyone asking questions.

As you see on my signature notes

Please query any of my advice that you are not entirely happy with, or if you require further confirmation of how to proceed.

The link that my colleague has provided you with in his
post 13 is the same link as I provided you with in my Post 2 - the recovery console disc image.
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Firstly in my opinion it will be far easier if you just tell me what problem you are trying to SOLVE.
The installation CD that came with the computer if there was one, MAY include the recovery console.

If the computer does not have an optical drive ie: it is a netbook then just tell us that and we can move forward.

The answer to this is we do NOT know what reason you are asking the question for - if we did I feel certain we can help.

rshaffer61 has explained the situation re his suggestion that a certain Malware analysis tool includes the recovery console, but it is not as my colleague will confirm, normally a utility that is LEFT on the computer.

ADDITIONALLY from the Microsoft document of how to install from the CD - if you have XP setup in a certain way, then it is possible to use the command from Microsoft

d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

that d:\ refers in this instance to the CD drive.

If you have the i386 folder on the computer depending on how that was installed when Xp was installed then that command can be changed to :

%windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

and if it is available that will also install it as a boot option.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I believe this will work.

Download and install IsoBuster. Click on the Download link, no need to buy it.

Open the download Recovery Console .iso file with IsoBuster.
Extract the Recovery Console to a folder on your computer.

Issue the necessary command to install the Recovery Console, pointing to extracted folder instead of a CD/DVD drive.

For instance, if you extract it to D:\temp\Recovery Console, then the command you would issue is:

d:\temp\recovery console\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

That will install the Recovery Console for you.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks to everyone who replied here.
Hi Macboatmaster,
You wanted to know about my problem, right? Ok here listen, Actually My PC has an optical drive in it and my PC is booting up fine BTW. I just want to install recovery console on it. So from your previous posts what you wanted to say is Getting the ISO image from the link you gave me and writing it to a CD ,then installing it on my PC is the easiest process, right?
And BTW I dont have my win xp CD with recovery console right now.

So please just confirm this statement:
1) Getting recovery console from a link and writing it to a CD and installing it on my PC is the easiest and best way and There may be other processes but this is what most people use, Right?
And also please confirm this statement too:
2) Actually there's no way to get recovery console from the net and directly install it on my comp(without using a CD) but some malware tools install recovery console as part of their process, right?
And if you know whether the the process stated by ztruker works or not please let me know.
Thank you.

Edited by greenwarrior, 31 December 2011 - 09:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Actually NO

So from your previous posts what you wanted to say is Getting the ISO image from the link you gave me and writing it to a CD ,then installing it on my PC is the easiest process, right?

1. The two links I originally sent you in my first reply are to download the recovery console to a CD - and use that to boot the computer, when it will not boot to Windows.

2. The Microsoft link I sent and that my colleague rshaffer61 sent are to install it as a boot option from the XP Cd using the command

the letter d:\
in this instance representing the optical drive where the XP CD is.

3. I then posted the procedure to achieve the same result WITHOUT the Xp CD if the original setup of the computer included the necessary files.

4. THE PROCEDURE YOU NOW REFER to is the one posted by my colleague Ztruker in his post 17 - which was a procedure UNKNOWN to me, before he posted it.

and finally

And if you know whether the the process stated by ztruker works or not please let me know.

My colleague Ztruker is obviously the person to advise, but I am POSITIVE you may most certainly presume that he would not have posted it if it did not work.
In fact to duly acknowledge, his expertise, it is fair to say that he stands above me, in these matters.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Why not just try it? I went as far as extracting the rc.iso to my hard drive to make sure the data was there correctly. I don't have an XP system anymore so I can't go any further.

Try it and let us know if it works. All I can say is that it should.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,
Thank you for replying.
Ok so now I dont have a win xp CD right now and my computer is booting fine and I need to install recovery console without downloading it from microsoft. Tell me which method shall I follow.
Thank you.
(P.S to Macboatmaster: If you dont mind can you please post the post number when you are referring to a particuar post.)

Edited by greenwarrior, 01 January 2012 - 09:14 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
greenwarrior

You are, I regret to say making a simple job very difficult.

I did not need to number the posts as

The two links I originally sent you in my first reply are to download the recovery console to a CD - and use that to boot the computer, when it will not boot to Windows.

This one was as stated MY FIRST REPLY

and the one referred to

The Microsoft link I sent and that my colleague rshaffer61 sent are to install it as a boot option from the XP Cd using the command

and I have only sent you ONE Microsoft document link.

and then I posted on my last but one the procedure to install it WITHOUT the CD - ANY CD - if you have XP setup with the i386 folder from the CD as part of the installation.

and then you posted

And if you know whether the the process stated by ztruker works or not please let me know

and I replied -

My colleague Ztruker is obviously the person to advise, but I am POSITIVE you may most certainly presume that he would not have posted it if it did not work.
In fact to duly acknowledge, his expertise, it is fair to say that he stands above me, in these matters.

and then Ztruker
replied just ONE post ago - immediately before your last

Why not just try it? I went as far as extracting the rc.iso to my hard drive to make sure the data was there correctly. I don't have an XP system anymore so I can't go any further.

Try it and let us know if it works. All I can say is that it should.

SO with respect why would I have to add to each paragraph the number of the post referred to - and we are only on post 22 NOW.

and by now you could have tried my suggestion WITHOUT ANY CD using the command

having searched to see if you have the i386 folder.

AND my colleague Ztruker`s suggestion in his post 17.

and you are still NOT annoying me, but I can not understand WHY you just do not try what is offered.

Finally as I have said before

and I need to install recovery console without downloading it from microsoft

You cannot download it from Microsoft

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,
I can understand your frustration and Im sorry for any trouble that I may have caused. I also agree with you that " Im making a simple job difficult" because Im somewhat a slow learner.
Ok So I hope that This will be my last post in this topic bcoz I dont want to annoy you anymore.

So please clearly answer one thing.

"I dont have a windows xp CD and my comp is booting up fine and I dont wanna download it from microsoft as I said in my previous post. Now please tell me how shall I get microsoft recovery console?" Let this be my question.

So now what shall I try out as my first option. You gave me too many options. Ok now shall I try this one?

Will this work without XP CD and ANY CD (in case I have i386).
Just asking to make sure.

Edited by greenwarrior, 01 January 2012 - 10:56 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I keep on saying
YOU ARE NOT annoying me.

The answer is YES and if it does not work try the option from Ztruker

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,
Thank you for replying back.
Ok now I need to know what message will it display If the command cannot install so that I can confirm whether the command works or not?
Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Greenwarrior you are making this more difficult then it needs to be. Try the command line and if it doesn't work there will be a error message but stating what it is would be speculation at best since we do not know your system.
You need to try it and report back what happens.
3 people have given you suggestions and you have not acted on anything yet even though some of the suggestions are duplicated. We can't advise anything more till you run the suggestions and report back with the results.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,
Ok I tried it as you said. I clicked run and wrote %windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons
and pressed OK. It displayed an error:

C:\Windows\i386 refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a Hard Drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to mak sure that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

Ok now please suggest me another option to try.
Thank you in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download WVCheck from Artellos.com.
  • Double click WVCheck.exe. (If you downloaded the zipped version you will need to extract it.)
  • As indicated by the prompt, This program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.
  • Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file as a reply.

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and post the report it produces:
  • Download MGADiag to your desktop.
  • Double-click on MGADiag.exe to launch the program.
  • Click Continue.
  • Ensure that the Windows tab is selected. (It should be by default.)
  • Click the Copy button to copy the MGA Diagnostic Report to the Windows clipboard.
  • Paste the MGA Diagnostic Report into your next reply.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
greenwarrior

Re your Personal message, asking why I have LEFT YOU.

I have not as such left you, I am still subscribed to the thread and receive a notification of all posts on the thread.
However on such a relatively simple matter it is confusing to you and unnecesaary from our point of view to have more than one person assisting you.

My colleague rshaffer61 is vastly experienced in these matters and you will be IN EXCELLENT hands with his assistance.

You should follow his advice.

greenwarrior

greenwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi macboatmaster,
I really want you to answer this please.
Actually now the %windir%\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons method failed. So now just tell me Can i use the method you stated in post#1 to install recovery console? Please let me know. I dont have any more questions and would like to end the topic after I get the answer.
Thank you very much.

Edited by greenwarrior, 05 January 2012 - 09:12 PM.