Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD problems

• Please log in to reply

fnark

fnark

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello, blew up my motherboard the other day and so im now using my dads pc for games. Because he gets rather paranoid about free space i put in a second hard drive to put my games on, i had this hard drive in my old system and it worked fine but now im having trouble in the POST detecting ide drives. it takes ages and then it doesnt find the old drive that was already in there. if you go into bios and do the auto detect it finds it and boots up fine, or if you reset when it hasnt found the drive it normally find it.
Any ideas whats wrong??

Advertisements

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,
Did you or have you cleared the HDD that you put (your one) and if you did try looking at the boot order in BIOS if you can, but find out which one is your HDD first.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi.

Check the jumper settings on both HD's, set them accordingly to "Slave" and "Master", don't use cable select because it sometimes causes problems.

If the problem presists the IDE cable maybe faulty and you should try replacing it.

Hope this helps.

Webslinger

fnark

fnark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The drive is partitioned and i formatted one of this (from windows) but not the other one, it said something was still using the drive so i just wiped everything on it and did a defrag.
Dont quite get what you mean by boot order, do you mean the order it looks on things to boot, or the order the drives are in the bios?

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ya order the drives are in BIOS for example if you got two HDs then one will be for boot plus all the other normal things and the other in your case will be for games now if in the boot order the HDD with games on comes up in the list before the normal one then theres no operating system to boot. I don't no if it will move on to the next thing in the list to try and boot from, but thats the basics. And ya check the IDE cable as well.