Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after reinstallation

• Please log in to reply

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi all,

I just reinstalled XP to get rid of a virus. The only problem now is the driver for my ethernet port seems to be missing, meaning i cant connect to the internet to verify windows, or connect to download drivers for anything else. I have tried to download the driver via my netbook and transfer it across, but even after running it it doesnt seem to have worked. Its a custom built pc, not a store bought one, and i no longer live in the country i bought it form so i cant just take it back to the shop and ask, and aside from the installation disk i dont recall getting any other driver disks with it. Any advice please?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I just reinstalled XP to get rid of a virus. The only problem now is the driver for my ethernet port seems to be missing, meaning i cant connect to the internet to verify windows, or connect to download drivers for anything else.

Question did you do a reinstallation or did you format and do a fresh install?
Regardless what is the make and model of your motherboard as that is the information needed to find the correct driver for your system.

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry, I have done a complete re-formatting of Windows. Im not sure if this is all the necessary information, but i can tell you the ethernet information is:

Realtek RTL8139/810x Fast Ethernet Adapter

The hardware ID is: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_2A78103C&REV_01

Im not sure what other information might help, but please let me know and i shall do my best :) Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You said it was a custom build so the motherboard make and model is what I need.
If you don't know how to get it then try the below.

Please download CPUz from my signature below

[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok great, thanks!

So, motherboard:

Manufacturer: MSI
Model: Boston

Memory

Type: DDR2
Size: 3072 MBytes

SPD

Max Bandwidth: PC2-6400 (400 MHz)

Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks for the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Manufacturer: MSI
Model: Boston

Is it showing a model number please.

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ah sorry, it says Boston 1.0

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this picture HERE shows a MSI motherboard. To the left of the memory slots you see the number MS-7525
This is the motherboard model number I am looking for. Does CPUz show anything like that?
If not you will need to open the side of your desktop case and physically look for the model number on the motherboard. Without the actual model number I won't be able to find the specific driver for that motherboard.

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Unfortunately not.. I tried to attach a screen shot but it didnt work. I will open the case tomorrow and have a look and update you when i can. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you save the screenshot as jpeg picture instead of the default bmp as it won't attach if you didn't.
I can wait for your update tomorrow no problem. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK! So the number on the motherboard is MS7525 VER 1.0.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the motherboard seems to be what is known as a OEM board used in name brand systems like HP or Compaq.
I went to MSI's website and they show no drivers for that board so it then falls to looking either on HP or Compaq. Is your system either a HP or Compaq so I can look directly at their site?

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Um.. unfortunately I have no idea. How can i find out? Theres nothing written on the tower as far as I can see..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try a different method.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

jan_jan64

jan_jan64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
There is no 'quick report summary' - Ive got 'all pages', 'system summary only', 'Hardware-related pages', 'Benchmark pages' and 'custom selection'..