Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shortcuts help

• Please log in to reply

DOUGLASS3020

DOUGLASS3020

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Do you know why when I create a shortcut it creates two desktop icons ??? 1 says (name)_files after it and the other one just has the name of the site I wanted to create a shortcut for.I HAVE windows xp and don't know how to change the settings so it won't save a _files icon too cause all it is doing is taking up desktop space .i've asked this question before but nobody answered me.someeone has to know where i go to change the setting for this..please help

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi -
Is this from just Right click > Send to Desktop ??
Or have you used another process -

Thank You -

DOUGLASS3020

DOUGLASS3020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
it is when i right click and select save page as in firefox

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's normal. One will be the .html file, the other is a folder containing objects needed to display the page correctly, like gifs or jpgs.

DOUGLASS3020

DOUGLASS3020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
yes but i do not want it to create a files icon.it never used to.what can i do to stop my computer from creating a files icon.i have winxp home hp 752n can you help me

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you save it as a web page you will get 1 shortcut.
If you save it as a web page complete then you will get the shortcut and the folder.

What do you have the "save as type" selected as when you do your right click?

DOUGLASS3020

DOUGLASS3020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i usually always click on save page as there is only that option so how do i save just the page i'm on that i want to go back to the files icon i would never use and all they are doing is taking up desktop space

DOUGLASS3020

DOUGLASS3020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i usually always click on save page as there is only that option so how do i save just the page i'm on that i want to go back to the files icon i would never use and all they are doing is taking up desktop space

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
""What do you have the "save as type" selected as when you do your right click? ""

DOUGLASS3020

DOUGLASS3020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i never changed anything cause i don't know how .can you please tell me how please i actually have someone who knows what i am talking about yeah but i don't know where and what to do it .what do i change it to and where do i go

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When you Save Page As, a Save As window opens. At the bottom of the window is the Save As Type selection.

FireFoxSaveas.jpg

DOUGLASS3020

DOUGLASS3020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
well that was easy and simple but what do i set it as html only right??

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Yes, that should do it. I suspect FireFox changed the default in one of their recent updates.