Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD - Unmountable Boot Volume

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5049 - 64 Bit
Windows 7 Home Prem

Owner purchased from a Pawn Shop therefore didn't have any disk with it. He claims he was working in a program 'Virtual DJ' setting up a show and it 'turned off'. When he restarted it went through a couple of the 1st screens then blue screened.

I powered it up and it shortly blue screened with the following stop code: 0x000000EU - Unmounable Boot Volume.

Naturally, I Googled the stop code and the recommendation is to boot to safe mode, goto Command Prompt and run CHKDSK /R. When booting to safe mode it blue screens also.

I've slaved it into another machine but it will not display the contents of the drive. When I goto cmd prompt I can not get the drive to display. I was going to try to do a chkdsk of the slaved drive.

I've located the 'restore disk' on the Toshiba site and the ower is going to order them....

Anything I can do at this time????

Thanks....

Advertisements

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I powered it up and it shortly blue screened with the following stop code: 0x000000EU - Unmounable Boot Volume

The stop code should read: 0x000000ED not EU..

Sorry for the typo...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would still run chkdsk /r on the drive. If that drive is failing the restore disks from Toshiba may not succeed, and if it is successful, may not be for long.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay, should I boot just to dos and then run chkdsk /r or just re-format the drive?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If you are going to reformat, you don't need to run chkdsk. Just make sure you do a full format and not a quick format.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay, this drive is shot! So, let's close this thread.

Thanks for your assistance.....

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, it happens - and eventually will happen with every HD. Thanks for the followup. Closing thread as requested.