Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not recognized and hard drive test result show "Repla

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi horseshoe
Have you replaced or at least inspected the 40 pin data transfer ribbon/cable (see .jpeg) and the socket on the MB?

Advertisements

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I don't see the data transfer cable in my laptop. But I removed some parts (memory cover, CD drive etc) and visually inspect the cable slot and didn't see anything suspicious. What should I look for to determine if the slot is bad?
If it turns out that the cable slot need to replace, how difficult it is? Do I need to disassemble the laptop?
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
My apologies I had the wrong specs for your computer it doesn`t have a ribbon like the one shown :blush:
As you have replaced the drive it may suggest that the contacts inside the notebook are the issue and need inspecting, this will require disassembling the notebook.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
The DVD drive connector is permanently attached to the system board. According to my research, it need some soldering. I do not have tool and not confident enough to do this. I guess I will either have some repair tech to do this or use the external optical drive for now.
Thank you so much for all your helps!
Sincerely,
Horseshoe..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The DVD drive connector is permanently attached to the system board.

That is correct, the contacts that I was referring to are on the actual drive and the socket that is fixed to the MB, these can be different types such as male and female, pin or plug types, the drive may be held in place by a single screw which when removed allows the drive to slide out.

See page 59 @ http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01295877.pdf

Edited by phillpower2, 07 February 2012 - 10:57 AM.
Link added.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thanks!

That is correct, the contacts that I was referring to are on the actual drive and the socket that is fixed to the MB

The contacts on the actual drive looks OK. I will have to dissamble the laptop to inspect and replace socket that is fixed to the MB if it is bad. My concern is replacing the socket that is fixed to the MB.

Edited by horseshoe, 07 February 2012 - 12:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

My concern is replacing the socket that is fixed to the MB.

Understandably so as it is not an easy task, I cannot say with 100% certainty that it is not the MB socket itself but personally I have my doubts.
This is a long shot but try clearing the CMOS by removing the MBs RTC battery for a few moments and then replace it, upon first boot you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date, save (F10) and then Y to accept the changes, this will restore the MB back to the factory default settings.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
As you instructed, I remove CMOS and restore the MB back to the factory default settings. At the first restart, WMP will not play any CD and return "Windows media player encountered an error while playing CD in Digital mode......". After a couple restart, I was able to play 2 DVDs (via HP quick play) and then was able to play one music CD in WMP. While I am testing with a 2nd music CD, I got a different error message (forgot to write down the message) after playing a couple tracks.

When playing CD, get "Windows media player encountered an error while playing CD in Digital mode......".
When try to play DVD, the device just keep spinning and freeze the player and often also freeze "My Computer" accompanied with "Window explore has stop responding" message.

The good new is, now the DVD drive seems to be stable (not disappearing again).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
What OS are you running please.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Windows Vista Home premium 32 bit.
I few weeks ago I restore my system to factory condition and haven't install SP1 and SP2 yet. not sure if this make any difference.
Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Yes that will make a difference!
Please install them and all other important updates then post back with an update, there are many hotfixes included in the updates that are available.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Right after the updates are installed, the DVD drive won't play CD & DVD with following issues:
1.when playing CD, get the window media player encountered an error while playing cd in digital mode and
2.laptop foroze when try to play a DVD
Between the restarts, get the message in device manager twice" THIS DEVICE IS WORKING PROPERLY. THERE IS A SECOND DEVICE CONNECTED TO THIS HARDWARE THAT WINDOWS CANNOT IDENTIFIED BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A VALID HARDWARE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER."
This message went away at the next restart.

After a few restarts without doing anything the DVD drive start playing CD & DVD.
The next day when I start the laptop, the DVD drive won't play CD & DVD and a few restarts later it starts to play again.
At a few restarts and shutdowns, everytime the DVD drive plays both CD & DVD for a couple days. Plays all CD & DVD I tested.
Three days later, DVD drive won't play again and back to the original issue: (when playing CD, get the window media player encountered an error while playing cd in digital mode and laptop forozen when insert a DVD).Try Fix it from MS and siad did not find any problem.

Yesterday, the drive went missing again from "My computer" and device manager with the message "system cannot identify the drive" at start up at the status bar where it show the new driver is being install. (I only get this message once.)
Since then, I've restart the laptop 4 to 5 times and the DVD drive never comes back.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you please check your system for malware before I suggest anything further, see the canned speech below;

I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Provide a link to this topic so that the malware tech can see what steps have already been taken.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Can you please check your system for malware before I suggest anything further, see the canned speech below;
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum......

I started a topic in malware forum but did not get any respond nor help so far.
Will restoring to factory condition removes malware if there's any?
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sorry you did not receive a reply on the Malware Forums, like I said the staff there are very busy and many new topics are started each day meaning your OP can end up on page 2 in no time and then possibly be overlooked.

I now add some additional text to the GTG canned malware speech, in this instance note #3;

1: Do not create a topic on the Malware Forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

Will restoring to factory condition removes malware if there's any?

Sorry but I am not in a position to answer your question without the required knowledge, what I can say though is that some malware is so deep rooted that even formatting the HDD does not get rid of it - hence the need for the experts on the Malware Forum.