Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not recognized and hard drive test result show "Repla

• Please log in to reply

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I tried to get the info from the seller and the seller give me option to try another model instead of providing the link.
Do you think a different model might help solve the issue?
Since I cannot get the link, I took out the drive and get the image of the drive (see attahced). Hope this help.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• dvd drive image.JPG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Thanks for the picture, couple of links below - try the Microsoft fix first if no joy try the Samsung firmware update at the top of the second list;

http://msdn.microsof...rdware/gg463526

http://samsung-odd.c...roduct_code=SCR
http://www.x-drivers...l632m/6060.html
Use Update 2/4/10 http://www.randomfix...ddvd-rom-drive/

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I run 'Check F/M version' as instructed in Samsung. 'DRIVE NOT FOUND' message returned and cannot proceed with installation.
Download and run firmware from the 2nd link you provided, but nothing happen. No error message or confirmation. Restart the computer and drive is still missing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Sorry to say but this is looking like it may be a MB issue, can you please try replacing the original optical drive and see what transpires, meanwhile I will contact a colleague and ask him to look in on this topic in case I have missed something, please bare with us meanwhile.

Edit: Having consulted a wiser Tech than myself it is suggested that taking the notebook to a local Tech store for testing would appear your only option now, if indeed the MB is the issue it would not be cost effective to replace it and using the external USB optical drive would be more prudent, however do please try the original drive and let us know the outcome, you should also take the sellers offer up on an alternative drive as the replacement may be bad.

Do you have any kind of warranty for the notebook.

Edited by phillpower2, 14 April 2012 - 07:56 AM.
Additional info added.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Original drive inserted and still not recogzined by the computer. I guess I will try another model and if same thing happen, I think I will use the external DVD drive. I do not have warranty for this notebook. So, if another drive does not work out, I will probably take it to the local tech store to check as you suggested.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to chime in here for a second. If the connector or the controller is bad then I fear the shop will tell you the motherboard needs to be replaced. Whatever you do please if you are going to replace the motherboard IT MUST BE THE SAME EXACT MODEL or you will most likely run into a booting issue since the drivers loaded for the system are for the present motherboard. If they replace it with a different model then your system may not boot and after working for repair shops I know they will tell you that you need to format and reload the OS.
Don't let them fool you and check to make sure they are replacing with the same model motherboard. If you don't want to go that route then Phill's suggestion of a external optical drive will work.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi rshaffer61,
Thanks a lot for these valualbe inputs. This will help me tremendously if I ever need to replace motherboard.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I got a new DVD drive but now my laptop just died.
When I hit the power to start, the LCD light flash for 1 second quietly and off right away and no beeping sound ata all. i am sure it is not the power problem. The charger I have is quite new and the light is on where the power cord plug into the laptop. Does this indicate the motherboard problem like you mentioned before?
If it is do you know how much it will casue roughly to replace the MB. Since my laptop is almost 5 years old, I think I better buy a new one if it cost a lot to replace the MB. Thsnks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model of your laptop and I will see what a new mb cost and try to find the instructions on how to do it.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
My laptop is HP Pavillion dv6748us.
Thanks!

Edited by horseshoe, 26 April 2012 - 04:52 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Found one HERE

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thank you so much for the info. I will purchase and install. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you need instructions on how to install it or will you take it to a shop?

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
HP user manual has the instruction on how to remove and install components. I will try to do it myself first. Hopefully, I won't have to take it to the shop. After installing the new MB, do I need to do any software or OS installation? HP does not come with OS installation disc but has the restore CD and also have the option to restore from H drive.
Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No since it is the same motherboard then everything should work perfect then. The only exception is if the bios needs to be upgraded but I doubt it. If you never have done a bios upgrade on the old one then it won't need to be done on the replacement.