Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not recognized and hard drive test result show "Repla

• Please log in to reply

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
My BIOS does not have option to enable / disable touch pad. I also update the BIOS from HP web site. Uninstall old driver and reinstall new still no sign. Fn 7 is to adjust birghtness. I test different FN key but not work.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is surprising it doesn't have a bios setting for it.
If none of the fn keys work then I'm think it is either a bad connection or bad touchpad.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
The LED light which indicates if the touch pad is on / off is always blue (means on), but the touchpad is not responding. Seems like the cable is connected. More than likely the touchpad is bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree with your assessment at this time. Replacement would be the next step or use a external mouse.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Something's went bad i think!!!
While I was using laptop all of a sudden, it just shout down. I tried to restart about ten times. sometime the fan spins and LED light came up then off. I was able to login for a couple times and also shut off after i type in the password. Most of the time the light just came up for a few seconds (the fan and the hard drive do not spin) and then shut off.

What could be the issue?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Power supply connection, motherboard, power switch or cpu.
It sounds like the laptop is trying to finally die. :(

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I do have extra same CPU, a new power connector . I will test with these today. Just like others are saying this HP model is known for MB failure and problem. I have to say it is absolutely TRUE!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah there are just to many things failing at one time to just be coincidence. There has to be a common denominator in this and it really looks like the motherboard at this point.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Seller will send an exchange. Seller also suggest to do the clean installation. Does seller's suggestion make sense? As you've mentioned before, the main reason to get the same model MB is to avoid from reinstalling the OS.
Before MB crashed, I just had the laptop cleaned (from spyware & malware) with the help from geekstogo.
also reset to factory setting twice. Below is the note from seller"

"We advise strongly doing a clean Windows installation, preferably one not using the
recovery discs or partition from the manufacturer but rather generic discs, and we will
include a heatsink this time. We often find there is considerable heat-producing stress
from overtaxed CPUs/GPU on systems with heavily 'clogged' Windows installations that have
been running and accumulating spyware, tray background applications, etc."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't think you should have to worry about a clean install since your system was cleaned by our malware techs.
If it comes to that you would need to find a OS disk the same that is installed to do a clean install with no problems.

Advertisements

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thanks!
Will install the MB as soon as a replacement is received. Since possible bad parts are already replaced, hopefully it will work our fine this time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
YES I would like to see you get this resolved as it has really caused some serious stress for you I'm sure. :thumbsup:

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Finally, i got a replacement. previous seller was suppose to send an exchange and eventually he change his mind and refund me instead.
I have to restart looking for another MB and found one on ebay. Now my laptop is working fine now.
With last experience that MB died a few days after replacement, I just want to create a back up for my HD in case this one fails again. I recall on page one of this thread, there is an instruction to use Puppy Linux to do so. Just wanted to make sure if this Puppy version is still the same one I should use.

Thank you so much for being so patient with this issue and also apologize this takes me so long.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recover from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

horseshoe

horseshoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thank you so much.Back up data created successfully.
Been testing the laptop and so far very smooth and no problem at all. Hope this one last longer.
Thank again for all your help.
You guys are the best.
:thumbsup: