Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer automatically turns off for no reason

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having some problems with my mac randomly turning itself off. If I'm actively doing something on my computer, then it's totally fine, but if I stop doing something for like 5 seconds, a thing pops up asking if I'm sure I want to shut down my computer, and then if you don't say "cancel" right away, then it turns off. I don't know why it keeps doing this and how to make it stop.

Also... I may or may not have spilt some water on it. Is that why my computer is doing this? If so, is this an easily fixable problem, or does it have to do with something else entirely?

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me. :]

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hello there, Welcome To Geeks To Go,

If your MacBook (13-inch) shuts down randomly during use, a downloadable firmware update is now available that resolves this issue.

It could be downloaded here: Downloadable Firmware Update

Or, You can use the Software feature of system preferences.

MacBooks running Mac OS X 10.4.7 will be able to download and install the SMC Update, so it is not essential that you update your system software, although Apple always recommends updating to the latest version of the system software.

If your MacBook is in a state where it will not remain on long enough to install the update, wait for the issue to reproduce itself. Once the MacBook has turned itself off, turn the computer on by holding the power button down. Keep the button down until you hear a single long tone. Once you hear the tone you can release the button, install the recommended updates, and restart normally.

Hope This Helps.