Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Local Area Connection constantly disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

theprotovision

theprotovision

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I really need help, my Local Area Connection constantly keeps disconnecting for no reason, Ive reinstalled windows 7 thinking I had a virus but that didnt work, my wirless connection on my laptop works with no problem, the computer works in safe mode yet stops working when i boot up properly. Ive researched for hours and the only thing that worked for me is changing the duplex from auto detect to 10MB Full Duplex but that makes my internet really slow, it stops the disconnecting but its slow. Recently Ive installed XP, I didnt have to change the duplex and the internet worked flawlessly, but as soon as i started a game ( such as Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike and Halo the ) the problem started again and the internet kept on disconnecting. Ive reinstalled Win7 and the problem has appeared again. Once again everything works properly in safe mode. What can i do?
Ive previously installed windows vista to double check if the problem goes but it didnt.

Advertisements

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Do you plug in the Ethernet cable to the wireless router?

theprotovision

theprotovision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a BT Home Hub 2.0 which i put a ethernet cable in to

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Try plugging in the Ethernet cable direct from the modem to your laptop.

Try playing a game as normal and see if the problem still persists.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Faizan Ern Prince, 30 December 2011 - 12:47 PM.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Try asking for help from experts at BT. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/home

theprotovision

theprotovision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Im using a computer at the moment, and my ethernet cable IS directly connected to the home hub, Im not using wireless
And ive asked help from BT, they couldnt help, they said they dont know what the problem is and there might be a problem with my network adapter, i doubt that because it works in safe mode, and windows xp worked properly with a proper full boot.

Edited by theprotovision, 30 December 2011 - 12:59 PM.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
OK, try connecting the Ethernet from your BT Home Hub 2.0 to your laptop and see if it works. Don't use Wi-Fi, test it to see if it works on Local Area Connection.

If it works flawlessly, then there is something wrong with the network adapter in your Computer.

Hope This Helps.

theprotovision

theprotovision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Laptops broken atm :\
But last time i checked, it worked fine,

theprotovision

theprotovision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm, checked on DSi and its working properly, seems like it is my network adapter
Can I use this instead to use internet wirelessly on my computer?
http://www.currys.co...991894-pdt.html
Will i have any problems ? Ive never used one of them before, do i just stick it in a usb port in my computer and start using intrnet wireless like i would on my laptop?

Edited by theprotovision, 30 December 2011 - 01:38 PM.

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hello there, sorry for the late reply. Yes, you could use a USB Wireless Network Adapter and it should work fine on your computer, it does the same job as wireless, so yes you can use internet wireless like your laptop.

theprotovision

theprotovision

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Whats the difference between 150mbps and 300mbps?
I mean...Im with BT and I currently get 8MBPS speed anyway so...?

Faizan Ern Prince

Faizan Ern Prince

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Whats the difference between 150mbps and 300mbps?

Mbps stands for mega-bits per second. If you have 150mbps, the maximum speed of internet it can receive is 150mbps, while if you have a 300mbps, it can receive up to a 300mbps internet connection. The faster card isn't going to necessarily increase your receiving ability, it will just ensure that you will be also to take advantage of those faster routers. Chances are, that public wifi area isn't even over 100mbps but I could be wrong. You should be fine with the 150mbps.

Keep in mind that your wireless reception is based a lot upon line of sight, if there are big bricks or metal buildings in between you and the router, that will kill your reception big time.