Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no windows audio, svchost error, theme disappeasring and more

• Please log in to reply

notyourmom

notyourmom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all please be patient, I am new to the web and here......
no doubt somewhere along the line, someone will quietly snicker on my naivete, but I am learning fast.

I have been very particular about downloading/installing things on my new computer. I recently got it and the guys who built it were going to give me disks for it, but never did, they made me their last job before the economy closed them down.

Two weeks ago, my broadband provider came in and had me change from DHCP to PPPoe, he was uncertain of some settings (sigh).
I have no "network" at home at all, just this one PC on the net. However it now says at shutdown "closing network connections".

Ever since then, when I boot up, I have to go to Windows Audio in services.msc and physically start it. Unsure why, but some times, the Win Audio in services.msc is already on at startup, then I get the svchost error,etc.etc. "unknown dll it says", my theme jumps to classic theme for about 15 seconds--I get a rpc error, which I check and find the RPC is already on and started.

My system tray icons are constantly messed up and I have a locked RecycleBin. Have even gone to safemode as admin and tried to delete these several files in the RecycleBin, trying about 8 diff. techniques, still get the "dc21" access denied.
With this svchost error, appcompat.txt, the problem files are consistently:

<MATCHING_FILE NAME="advapi32.dll"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="gdi32.dll"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="ntdll.dll"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="oleaut32.dll"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="user32.dll"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="wininet.dll"
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="winsock.dll"

I thought if I could run the scannow, it would "fix" these errors.
I also have problems turning on the Win Firewall/Int Sharing, my permissions are all good.

Haven't been able to figure it out, but occasionally I have an extra "Int Conn" under Network Connections, the send and receive packets are more than my actual connection statistics. Don't know where it came from or disappears to, the first time I ever saw it was after changing to PPPoe.

You are the 15th forum I have come to, I have been given info here and there, and felt like a twig in the wind, some things work, some don't, then some seem ending up worse. Then I never get a reply......

I really have wanted to run the scannow, I have set it up property according to the web, for XPPro, I do have a regular Pro machine I thought about copying the I386 off of, but that has three diff.sized I386s on it in Windows UGH The scannow just will..not..run.

I have run 20 absolutely excellent malware-trojan-worm etc etc programs and nothing was found, when Combofix gave me the option for recovery console I took it but don't know if that helps or what to do with it.

I AM A MESS. Please please guide me by the hand and help me before I throw this box out. I do not want a repair install, just the guidance and wisdom from you to help me FIX this please. I am a great learner. I have a couple more questions when we are done. Thank you thank you..........

***update: got the scannow working, we can cross that off :) :) :)

update:
got the RecycleBin fixed, lurking in another webpage, downloaded SystemLook and OTL.exe,
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic296878.html/page__st__15
, works perfectly.

STILL have the svchost,audio,system tray problems......and "closing network connections" and the "Internet Connection".

Edited by notyourmom, 31 December 2011 - 08:50 AM.

Advertisements

notyourmom

notyourmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
wow, I see other posts are getting answered, musta been a big problem for you guys too, no replies and all.
Well I got really good fast and exact search terms and speed reading for about 8 hours, weeding out info and taking chances on other info I found, but I figured it out.
Works perfect now thanks all.

I might try you again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry your topic was overlooked but happy you got the issue resolved. What was the final step that resoled your issue as it may help someone later with the same issue.