Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"could not load or run 'C\WINDOWS\svchost.exe specif

• Please log in to reply

aerohobby

aerohobby

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I am having an Acer Travelmate 2310 with WIN XP Professional Version installed and running smoothly for years. Suddenly a couple of days back it got a virus attack and I scanned it with an antivirus program and was successful in removing the viruses . But in the process I believe the OS has suffered some corruption and now no more operates properly. . After booting, it shows "could not load or run "C\WINDOWS\svchost.exe ' specified in registry" Every time I try to repair the OS using the original OS boot CD it never starts the WIN XP installation file . But the CD is fine as the other potions of the CD like troubleshooting guide etc are read properly. It has problems only with .exe files (set up files). I tried even using a USB drive with the above OS copied into it with the same result. Kindly request those having some experience in solving these types of problems to help me mitigate the same. Thanks in advance.

(aerohobby)

Edited by aerohobby, 30 December 2011 - 09:49 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This is a good writeup on doing a Repair Install, check it out and see if it helps: Repair Install

A couple things to remember.

1. You boot the CD, you don't try to run it from an already booted XP system.
2. You need to make sure the CD/DVD drive is the first device listed in the Boot Priority settings in BIOS Setup, unless the computer provides the ability to access the Boot Menu by pressing a Fn key (often it's F11 or F12).