Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build ($400-$500 budget)

• Please log in to reply

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Another question (Sorry :wacko:).

Is it possible to install Windows 7 with the same disc on 2 different PC's? I'm thinking of putting Win7 on my moms PC for her, but don't want to do it if I won't be able to install it on my new PC afterwards.

Thanks

Advertisements

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
UPS Says both the Case and other parts will be here Thursday by the end of the day.

I love Newegg shipping :thumbsup:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
As mentioned before, download the manuals for the major components (motherboard, graphics card, case) now and start reading up on the installation procedures - paying particular attention to the part about standoffs in the case, and ESD control.

it possible to install Windows 7 with the same disc on 2 different PC's?

Is it possible? Yes. Is it legal? Absolutely not! That is software theft and punishable with up to $250,000 in fines and up to 5 years in jail, per incident! Note if you did get the "Retail" version of the Windows 7 license it will come with 2 disks, one for 32-bit Windows 7 and one for 64-bit Windows 7. But understand it is the "license" to use the product you bought and the disks are just the media it was distributed on. You can only install one, or the other, not both. Two disks, two versions, but one license. And when you install the license, you agree to the terms of the license - and that's "binding", as in a legal contract where both parties agree to the terms of the agreement.

So don't even think about installing your license on more than one computer at a time.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

As mentioned before, download the manuals for the major components (motherboard, graphics card, case) now and start reading up on the installation procedures - paying particular attention to the part about standoffs in the case, and ESD control.

it possible to install Windows 7 with the same disc on 2 different PC's?

Is it possible? Yes. Is it legal? Absolutely not! That is software theft and punishable with up to $250,000 in fines and up to 5 years in jail, per incident! Note if you did get the "Retail" version of the Windows 7 license it will come with 2 disks, one for 32-bit Windows 7 and one for 64-bit Windows 7. But understand it is the "license" to use the product you bought and the disks are just the media it was distributed on. You can only install one, or the other, not both. Two disks, two versions, but one license. And when you install the license, you agree to the terms of the license - and that's "binding", as in a legal contract where both parties agree to the terms of the agreement.

So don't even think about installing your license on more than one computer at a time.

Sorry I was just asking :upset:. Looks like my mom is S.O.L then haha..

Still says Case and Stuff will be here tomorrow :thumbsup:

Edited by C0pyRyte, 04 January 2012 - 11:39 AM.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Both packages are only 45 minutes away from me, but have to wait til tomorrow. AGH!

My stepdad told me that I wouldn't be able to get a rig to run Windows 7 that costs under $500.

Will mine run it? No biggie, I can always throw good 'ol XP on it :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

My stepdad told me that I wouldn't be able to get a rig to run Windows 7 that costs under $500.

Custom build or brand name such as Acer, Dell, HP etc.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
He said I wont be able to run it on mine pretty much... Now im pissed that I can't use my new Windows 7 Disc on my PC :(....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

He said I wont be able to run it on mine pretty much... Now im pissed that I can't use my new Windows 7 Disc on my PC :(....

C0pyRyte
Just in case I am missing something can you please post links to all of the components you have ordered!

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Look at my main post, I added the stuff I ordered.. Added them yesterday I think :P

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks, just wanted confirmation the parts were not completely different, your set up will run W7 no problem, the one thing I may have done different is 8GB of dual channel ram (2X4GB) as opposed to the chosen 6GB of triple channel, both will run W7 64-bit nicely.

Advertisements

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Thanks, just wanted confirmation the parts were not completely different, your set up will run W7 no problem, the one thing I may have done different is 8GB of dual channel ram (2X4GB) as opposed to the chosen 6GB of triple channel, both will run W7 64-bit nicely.

Thank god! Thanks :D... Yea, I'll be upgrading the Memory on my birthday in March, maybe sooner.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

the one thing I may have done different is 8GB of dual channel ram (2X4GB)

This is actually important. As noted on the Newegg site, your motherboard's website, and in the motherboard manual, that motherboard supports dual-channel memory architecture. Therefore, to take advantage of that, you MUST run RAM in pairs. By using 3 sticks, that 3rd stick will run in single-channel mode or basically, have the speed of the other pair. As Phill noted, Windows 7 will still run, but with a bum leg. You need to get a 4th stick.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Dont worry, I will upgrade it :thumbsup:.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Dont worry, I will upgrade it :thumbsup:.

You could have saved yourself the headache though :yes:
8GB of Ram is best for Windows 7 64-bit and plenty for the average user, I also noticed you changed the original Ram you chose which was on the MBs QVL http://www.newegg.co...pk=TR3X6G1333C9

On the MBs QVL http://www.newegg.co...10666CL9D-8GBRL

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

On the MBs QVL http://www.newegg.co...10666CL9D-8GBRL

[bleep]! Wish I would of seen that before :blush: :upset: :angry: :wacko: