Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build ($400-$500 budget)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
See page 6 of the MB manual http://206.108.48.60...?S_ID=524&tab=3 and for the various connections that you may use http://www.playtool....connectors.html

Have you taken the time to read any manuals?
If not it is very important that you do so and especially before hooking up the PSU.

Advertisements

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks guys :)... Ordered the PSU last night, will update you when it comes and it's installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
This is weird, they still haven't shipped it.. It's been a day or so, I'm going to call Newegg in the morning if they still haven't shipped it.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Unless you paid for express processing and faster delivery, you are just going to have to have patience. It is a weekend so even if the warehouse is fully manned, it is not likely FedEx or UPS will come by to pick up.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Didn't even think about that haha, but it just shipped :D

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ok, it still hasn't shipped haha.. I thought it did, but it is still waiting for UPS to pick it up :blink: .

Ordered a small hard drive just now, until I can afford a 1TB+ one, got a dvd/cd drive as well, now all I need is to wait for delivery :D

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Just got the PSU!

I found where ONE of the plugs go, time to read my motherboard manual and online guides to find out where the rest of this stuff goes :thumbsup: .

Still can't find where the other fan plugs go, though. No place on the motherboard for them :blink:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Still can't find where the other fan plugs go, though. No place on the motherboard for them

Typically motherboards have a header for the CPU and maybe one other (System) fan. That mean you must power the fan directly from the PSU. The motherboard may have a PSU Fan header. If the PSU has a corresponding connector for the PSU fan, you can connect that but understand that is for fan speed monitoring only - it does not control the fan speed.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hooked everything up, including the Dvd/CD drive.

Waiting for my new HD and will finally be able to boot it :D

Advertisements

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ordering this sometime this weekend: http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo

Edit: I can't turn on the computer until I get a hard drive right? I was wanting to test the fans and stuff to make sure I had everything plugged in, I pressed power, but nothing happened.. Guessing I have to have the hard drive plugged in and such?

EDIT: tested all the fans, power button and such work now... don't know what was wrong with it at first :P

Edited by C0pyRyte, 12 January 2012 - 04:22 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No you don't need a hard drive to power on. In fact, that is a good test to see if the "hardware" will boot as the hardware should make it all the way through POST and halt when it cannot find a boot disk. I suggest you take this time to ensure you have connected everything correctly and that all connections are securely fastened.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
All the fans,lights work, but should anything be appearing on my monitor? When I turn on my system, my monitor goes to sleep :blink:. Not sure if the screen should come on or not, but the fans and stuff work (Video Card fan,CPU fan,and all of the case fans). Power button works,etc.... Just nothing on the screen.

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Sorry for the double post, but I still don't know if the monitor should be showing anything if I boot without an HD. I can hear the fans,etc... but I am not sure if anything would appear on the screen with no HD..

Thanks. (Sorry for asking so much here, I have nobody else to ask -_-)

C0pyRyte

C0pyRyte

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I guess my monitor is broken, cause I start my PC (Installed Hard Drive, everything is hooked up correctly), then my monitor goes to sleep. Not sure what to do anymore.