Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista No BOOT w/black screen & blinking line

• Please log in to reply

Wassim El-Amin Andrews

Wassim El-Amin Andrews

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello i have a dell d630 laptop that will not boot up. it loads "dell" flash screen, but then a black screen with a blinking cursor line, (thats it never loads anything else). I have been online searching for 2weeks now and have tried everything that i found online but nothing works. I cannot get into "F8" but only F12 (boot opyions) and F10 (bios setup). in f12 only 1)internal hdd 2)dvd/cd rom drive 3)cardbus nic 4)usb flash drive then theres bios setup and diagnostics. But the flash drive will not boot it only goes back to that black screen with the blinking cursor line

is there a way to use kill disk? or another program or even the command prompt to fix this issue? Also when used diskpart in command prompt the internall hdd is write protected and diskpart fails many times to format or remove volumes.

i donot have another laptop to use the harddrive in just the d630. would be greatly aprrecited if someone can give grave details as to how i can fix this issue. Thanks -Wassim-

PS: i attached a picture of the black screen

Attached Thumbnails

• index.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: Wassim
Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?

While the computer is first turning on and you see the Dell BIOS screen press and hold F8 until it gives you a list of choices, of those choices one of them is "Safe Mode" select that and press enter, let us know how this goes.

Wassim El-Amin Andrews

Wassim El-Amin Andrews

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello and yes I have tried the f8 sequence but it will not pull up the options screen just the same black screen with the line. Also I have used @killDisk on the Fujitsu hard drive thats installed. Then went to reinstall Windows but.......during installation screen goes back to the black screen with the blinking line, then reboots and says "BOOTMGR is missing or corrupt".

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Do you have either a Vista or Dell recovery disk that may have been provided with the laptop?

Run hard drive diagnostics
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions :thumbsup: