Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Determine if main board has ever been changed

• Please log in to reply

programmer4life

programmer4life

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I recently sent a laptop out for 'repairs', but I suspect the repair person is a hardware swapper (someone who claims you have broken parts when you do not, in an attempt to get extra money from the customer, or switches the good product for an older one.)

My question: Is there a solid way of knowing if the original main board is still in the laptop? Are there numbers or something we can go by/match with the case?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

My question: Is there a solid way of knowing if the original main board is still in the laptop? Are there numbers or something we can go by/match with the case?

Probably not after-the-fact. If you had secretly marked the board before handing it over for repair, then you could tell. Otherwise, you would have to go by the board's serial number and if you did not record that before hand, then I doubt you could tell. There would not be any numbers that tie the original motherboard to the case, except perhaps by the original notebook maker. And I doubt that is listed on your invoice.

Do understand with most notebooks, almost everything is totally integrated into the motherboard. So replacing the motherboard is often the only, and correct solution - depending on the problem.

programmer4life

programmer4life

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ok, thank you.

I'll be sure to make a very specific hidden mark on the board if I ever send one out again. I'm fairly sure the guy swapped MBs on me. Sent out a working board and got back a totally dead one.

Do any of you have a good suggestion where I can get a DV9000 MB for a reasonable price? It needs to be one of the ones that have the video chip heat problem fixed.

Thanks.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, when I punch dv9000 into Google, I see there was a recall on that board. You might want to call HP and see if they will work with you - but since you have no proof the board was not swapped, only suspicions, I would not mention that.