Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with connection, randomly stops working

• Please log in to reply

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Not sure what seems to be going wrong with my laptop, had this problem for quite a while and always just dealt with it or worked round it but i'm really quite fed up now. I've tried all sorts of solutions and nothing seems to work.

Basically I've tried my laptop at various locations on various different routers (my own house, my old home, my girlfriend's home) and each wifi allows me to connect and works but with consistent drops whether i'm on wifi or connected via cable.

I'm not sure what information to provide here to help try and work out what my problem is, I'll do my best to provide anything people ask me to give!

Thanks in advance, hopefully someone will have some method of trying to troubleshoot/filter down to what my problem is

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: dwdw0
You need to provide information about your laptop, provide the model name or series number (not serial) these details will enable others to better assist you.
You may have a loose connection or card once we know the specs we can do some research.

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi, thanks. as far as i know, the model name of my laptop is a TOSHIBA Satellite L450D.

i've used everest here to make a basic summary of the specs of my laptop, i've put it in a pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/0A3Y8Auz

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
It would appear that this is a well documented issue and even the Toshiba forums cannot offer a conclusive solution and many users have returned their laptops under warranty, are you still covered by a warranty?
I suggest starting with the basics - can you check the Device Manager, any yellow ! or red X next to the Network adapters?
Download and save the latest driver for your device from http://aps2.toshiba-...?page=downloads then post back here.

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi thanks for the quick replies, as far as i'm aware i'm no longer covered by warranty on this laptop. my "microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter" has a yellow sign on the icon, i've never noticed this before. not sure if it's a new problem. i've installed the appropriate driver for my laptop from the link you gave me too. i assume the issue i mentioned above was related because the yellow sign seems to have disappeared from the icon now that i've installed that link you gave me. any other ideas?

edit: i really don't want to jinx it but it seems to be working alright for now, hopefully that minor change might have fixed it! i'll let you know how it goes, you've got my infinite thanks if it's fixed

Edited by dwdw0, 01 January 2012 - 11:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Did you notice I suggested downloading and saving the driver?
This is to allow you to uninstall the previous drivers so as to avoid conflicts, this asides if you have already installed the driver how is it working now?

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yeah i noticed that, had it saved. as i said above, hopefully this has fixed it, seems a lot more stable now. are there any sort of tests I can do to see if it's actually more stable aside from just browsing the net i wonder?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
I like free :whistling: http://download.cnet...4-10523393.html

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
tried the pingtester you posted above and the results come out like this, if i've used it correctly. not sure if this will tell you anything, still seems to just stop working every now and again. by this i mean when i'm browsing, it'll be working fine at usual speeds with pages loading fine, then suddenly it just stops and says "connecting" with a swirling icon next to it, then about 20 seconds later it starts working again. the icon in the bottom right corner for my wireless never goes off or anything.

here's the pastebin of my pingtest: http://pastebin.com/uFYECnS6

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
You do have a drop in your connection can you flush the DNS cache and see if that helps also what AV software are you using?

1.Press Windows key and type in cmd (do not press enter).
2.In the search results that come up right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) and press return.
You should receive an on screen message when it is done.

Advertisements

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i've done the dns flush like you said, and in terms of anti virus i'm using AVG free 2012

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

i've done the dns flush like you said, and in terms of anti virus i'm using AVG free 2012

Any improvement?

I am pleased that you are using the free version of AVG as if there is still no improvement I suggest swapping AVG for another AV that is lighter on system resources, Avast and MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) are both free and do not slow your system down like AVG and Norton do, see http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'll do that regardless, thanks for the advice! it seems there's still no improvement unfortunately, i think the main problem is i've had this issue for so long and just avoided it that i wouldn't even be able to tell you if something i'd done had caused it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
After reading the Toshiba and other forums I doubt very much that it is something that you have done.

To safely remove AVG you must ust the correct uninstaller or you will get problems caused by left over files;
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities before you do this can you do the test below please;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

dwdw0

dwdw0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=24727386 hopefully this is what you were after?