Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing Windows professional, to run alongside Ubunto

• Please log in to reply

aitchess

aitchess

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a genuine copy of Windows professional, and would like to run it on my laptop alongside or instead of Ubunto,would this be possible?

Advertisements

Sourcer

Sourcer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi
This will help you out with your question.
I usually just dual boot the OS's
http://www.wikihow.c...s-XP-and-Ubuntu

aitchess

aitchess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I will have a look at the site you mentioned, thanks again,now to try and get this old brain of mine working.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Hi,

Are you about to install Windows or Ubuntu? If you are going to install Windows on an Ubuntu machine you might need some manual fixing not mentioned in that article. Please post here if you encounter any trouble.

aitchess

aitchess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am trying to install Windows professional, I purchased the lap top second hand with Ubunto already installed and although I can visit most of the sites that I had on Windows, it is not possible on some. I do not have the installation CD for Ubunto,I really appreciate the response and help, thanks, Henry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
aitchess

Hello - which WINDOWS professional please. XP, Vista or 7

IF it is 7 have you checked the compatability of the computer for Windows7.

The BEST way is to install Windows first
Install Ubuntu after Windows
A Windows OS should be installed first, because its bootloader is very particular and the installer tends to overwrite the entire hard drive, wiping out any data stored on it. If Windows isn't already installed, install it first. If you are able to, partition the drive, prior to installing Windows, leave space for Ubuntu during the initial partitioning process. Then you won't have to resize your NTFS partition to make room for Ubuntu later, saving a bit of time. When a Windows installation already occupies the entire hard drive, its partition needs to be shrunk, creating free space for the Ubuntu partition. You can do this during the Ubuntu installation procedure, or you can do it before this in Disk management in Windows

That way there is LESS risk of it going wrong, but there is ALWAYS a risk however small.

Here is the definitive guide to dual booting Ubuntu and Windows.
https://help.ubuntu....WindowsDualBoot

The fact you do NOT have a Ubuntu CD is of no consequence as it is freely available HERE
http://www.ubuntu.com/download

IF I were you, I would install Windows, FIRST remembering to check the compatability of the computer if it is Windows7 you are installing

All the information you need is in the guide, but please do not hesitate to post with any questions.

aitchess

aitchess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the information, I will try this out as soon as I get time to sit down for a decent amount of time,thanks again for your help. Henry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for responding.
Good luck with it

Did you see this

Hello - which WINDOWS professional please. XP, Vista or 7

IF it is 7 have you checked the compatability of the computer for Windows7.

As you have not actually commented on it. There is no need to reply , as along as you are aware of the situation

aitchess

aitchess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry for not confirming what Windows I was was installing, it is Windows XP Profesional,thanks again, Henry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
aitchess

How are you progressing with the dual installation.
If you need any further help please just post.
Would you kindly update your thread when you get chance.
We hope you have been successful

Advertisements

aitchess

aitchess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I already have Ubunto installed on the laptop ,and I have a genuine copy of windows professional to install,I am in my 70,s and am waiting for my son to call to go through things with me, do I have to delete Ubunto before I start to download Windows.The main reason I want to install Windows is to be able to download Flash player, which it seems impossible to do on Ubunto, I really appreciate all your efforts and apologise for being a bit of a nuisance.I see you are from the same part of the world as me,I am in Newtown Powys,thanks again,Henry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Adobe Flash Player can be installed on ubuntu
http://get.adobe.com.../otherversions/

Or you can use alternative flash players for ubuntu. Open a terminal prompt copy and paste this

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

HOWEVER I would recommend you go Ubuntu Software Centre and click on the left pane installed software - see if you have it installed.
See screenshot

[attachment=55540:Untitled.jpg]

If you do not have installed, click GET SOFTWARE - provided by ubuntu and if it is not immedately obvious on the list search for flash - top right of the screen and then you should see the offerings and simply click install on the right of the listed item.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
do you know what version of ubuntu you are using ?

aitchess

aitchess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have managed to sort the problem now, I would like to thank everyone for their help, it was very much appreciated, thanks again, Henry.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked for you
Thanks for posting the update.