Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wired connection, but no go

• Please log in to reply

babytazz

babytazz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi all i'm a dingle berry when it comes to networking... downstairs i have a DSL modem connected to a belkin router. i also have a computer there next to the router hooked up to it... internet works fine there.... i have a computer upstairs that is connected to the router, but no internet... the computer is showing that it is sending, but nothing is recieving.... HELP HELP HELP! more information is available if u need it although i dont know what else to tell you

Advertisements

3li

3li

• Pip
  • 7 posts
could this be a problem with the router's firewall settings? It's only allowing the one connection?

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ya i've turned off the router's firewall, and had it turned on... still no go...

3li

3li

• Pip
  • 7 posts
have you tried pinging everything? What did you get?

Just go into the command prompt, and then type "ping *" and replace the star with the ip of the other computer, and with the router's ip too.

So try:
pinging the router's ip from the disconnected computer
pinging the connected computer from the disconnected computer
pinging the disconnected computer from the connected computer

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Please click "Start", "Run", and type cmd (do this on the pc upstairs that does not connect) and press enter. Now type ipconfig /all, now press enter. Don't forget to put 1 space between ipconfig and /all. Copy and paste that information back here please.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

crazyman191

crazyman191

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have the exact same problem the computer with DSL which has the router on it gets no internet but the one in my room does, and yet the one in the basement says its got a lan connection but just not internet. I have tried turning my firewall off and everything but for some reason its not working.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hello crazyman, please start your own topic so we can better help you and babytazz. Thank you.

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Please click "Start", "Run", and type cmd (do this on the pc upstairs that does not connect) and press enter.  Now type ipconfig /all, now press enter.  Don't forget to put 1 space between ipconfig and /all.  Copy and paste that information back here please. 

View Post

gimme a sec, i have done ipconfig /all but problem is, the computer that isnt working cannot connect to the internet to paste the information....

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i hope this works... i took a snapshot of my desktop

Attached Thumbnails

• kc01.JPG

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Could you go to control panel, and open up the network connections and take a screenshot of what's in there and post it? Would look something like this:
network.jpg

Advertisements

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
sorry it's taking me so long to reply... been busy with work...

Attached Thumbnails

• kc02.JPG

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If you go to control panel, system and click the hardware tab, and then scroll d oown to network adapters, and expand it, what does it say under network adapters? Right click on your card and click "uninstall". Now reboot the computer and when Windows reboots it will say it has found new hardware and install the card. Now try the internet again.

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
k i've uninstalled the network card, and reinstalled it... still no go... could it be that i have 50ft of cat6 cable and either the card or router is not sending a strong enough signal to get from one end to the other?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
No, because I believe you can go 300ft before that happens. Are you using Cat5 or Cat6? That may be your problem.

babytazz

babytazz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i'm using cat6... the guy at bestbuy said it's the same as cat5 just better